Psience Quest

Full Version: Gut Microbiota Can Drive Neuroinflammation in Major Depressive Disorder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gut Microbiota Can Drive Neuroinflammation in Major Depressive Disorder

Bot summary?

Quote:The gut microbiota is an important bidirectional pathway between the gut and the brain, and the communication between the gut and the brain is substantiated by the comorbidity between gastrointestinal and neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson disease⁶ and mood disorders, including MDD. Gut bacteria are essential in regulating brain development and function. Stress can dysregulate gut microbiota and stimulate proinflammatory cytokines.⁷ Probiotics influence gut microbiota and can indirectly influence neurological and psychiatric disorders. Researchers further indicate that imbalances in gut microbiota can allow increased permeability of the blood-brain barrier (BBB), and excessive production of inflammatory cytokines can pass the BBB and reach the brain resident cells. Microglial activation and inflammasome activation can be reduced by prebiotic treatment of gut microbiota, according to researchers, suggesting a possible treatment for age-related neuroinflammatory diseases.

Probiotics influence gut microbiota and can indirectly influence neurological and psychiatric disorders, according to researchers.

Both Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium in general have been shown to limit the effects of neurological disorders.⁸ Oral injection of Bifidobacterium resulted in increased resilience to defeat stress in mice. Imbalances in gut microbiota can allow increased permeability of the BBB, and excessive production of inflammatory cytokines such as interleukin (IL)-1a, IL-1b, TNF-a, and IL-6,⁹ could pass the BBB and reach the brain resident cells, where they act on receptors expressed by neurons and glial cells.¹⁰ Microglial activation can be reduced by prebiotic treatment, suggesting a possible treatment for age-related neuroinflammatory diseases though reduction of monocyte infiltration into the brain.¹¹ Finally, according to researchers, the gut microbiota is related to the regulation of the kynurenine pathway, which plays an important role in the development of psychiatric disorders, including schizophrenia. Gut metabolites such as short-chain fatty acids can promote the production of serotonin from tryptophan, thus preventing typtophan conversion to the kynurenine pathway.¹²
(2019-12-15, 12:53 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Bot summary?

I see you ask this question semi-regularly, and I'm curious to know what leads to you that suspicion about any given summary. Is there anything in particular that you look for or notice?
(2019-12-15, 01:23 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]I see you ask this question semi-regularly, and I'm curious to know what leads to you that suspicion about any given summary. Is there anything in particular that you look for or notice?

Honestly just a lack of author, or at least I miss the byline. Confused
(2019-12-15, 01:49 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Honestly just a lack of author, or at least I miss the byline. Confused

Ah, fair enough. I had wondered whether there were semantic, structural, or syntactic clues that you went by. I was curious as to any insights that you might have had into the limitations/signatures of this sort of AI.
One thing I thought you might have come back with for this particular summary is that the phrase "imbalances in gut microbiota can allow increased permeability of the blood-brain barrier (BBB), and excessive production of inflammatory cytokines can pass the BBB and reach the brain resident cells" occurs twice - once in the first paragraph, and once (with minor variations and a bit more specificity) in the third paragraph. I thought you might have suggested that this sort of repetition indicates a lack of structural awareness more characteristic of a bot than a human.