Psience Quest

Full Version: Hallucinogen Therapy Is Coming
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hallucinogen Therapy Is Coming

Moises Velasquez-Manoff

Quote:The question of how, precisely, hallucinogens trigger these transformations has sent neuroscientists down an intriguing rabbit hole. They have observed similarities between what happens in meditators’ brains and people on hallucinogens. Neural networks that serve as control centers—the neural correlates of the old Freudian ego—may loosen their grip, freeing other regions of the brain.

Researchers often use an unusual language to talk about this transformation, one that emphasizes meaning and subjective experience over molecular pathways and neurotransmitters. Hallucinogen therapy seems to recast addiction not only as a disorder of the brain, but as a disorder of meaning—of framing and how we see ourselves.

Ultimately, hallucinogen researchers are addressing a mystery that’s central to psychology and psychiatry, not to mention the self-help section of the bookstore: the question of how people change, of how they escape limiting and often self-destructive behavioral patterns. Their early research suggests that hallucinogen therapy offers a radically new perspective on the self, showing people that they’re not slaves to their compulsions or fears, and providing them with a sense of connection to something ineffable, something greater than themselves.
And somebody other than Dr. Timothy Leary will get the credit for discovering this.  Using psychedelics to break up neuroimprints was his discovery many moons ago.  I only hope the authorities look at his work on the conditions that must apply in order for this to be done safely.  Thanks to the CIA, we all know what can happen to a person's mind if the appropriate safeguards are not in place.
(2019-03-25, 11:11 AM)Brian Wrote: [ -> ]And somebody other than Dr. Timothy Leary will get the credit for discovering this.  Using psychedelics to break up neuroimprints was his discovery many moons ago.  I only hope the authorities look at his work on the conditions that must apply in order for this to be done safely.  Thanks to the CIA, we all know what can happen to a person's mind if the appropriate safeguards are not in place.

From what I understand a lot of psychedelic researchers hate Leary? His "Tune In, Drop Out" messaging apparently held the field back?

Admittedly I've barely read anything from Leary so I am not one to pass informed judgement.
(2019-03-25, 04:23 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]From what I understand a lot of psychedelic researchers hate Leary? His "Tune In, Drop Out" messaging apparently held the field back?

Admittedly I've barely read anything from Leary so I am not one to pass informed judgement.

Most of what I know about Leary comes from Robert Anton Wilson who was a good personal friend of his.  Wilson believes that the generally accepted interpretation of Leary's "Turn on, Tune In, Drop Out" was either a misunderstanding or a deliberate misrepresentation.  Apparently, Leary was very much against  LSD being made legal for recreational use.
(2019-03-25, 04:23 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]From what I understand a lot of psychedelic researchers hate Leary? His "Tune In, Drop Out" messaging apparently held the field back?

From R.A.Wilson's "Cosmic Trigger"

[attachment=229]