Psience Quest

Full Version: Florence Foster Jenkins
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm currently watching (again) the film with Meryl Streep, Hugh Grant and Simon Helberg.

Florence Foster Jenkins - IMDB

I needed to watch something lighter as I'd previously watched a film on a much more serious theme.

This entertaining and sympathetic story, at times joyful of the opera singer of uncertain ability is based on the true life story of Florence Foster Jenkins.

My mind went off on a bit of a tangent. Watching this story, much of which involves maintaining a façade in which a large number of well-connected members of society are complicit in keeping the main character from ever finding out the truth made me think of something else. That is, it made me think of the social framework in part of today's society which maintains a certain belief about the nature of consciousness. In the film (and in real life), it is clear that there are many different motivations involved, though it may fall into some simple categories.

In this interview with Hugh and Simon, it is pointed out that the same sort of life that Florence lived, remaining shielded from the truth would be difficult or impossible - buying up every copy of a critical newspaper report within a certain radius would not be sufficient.

Hugh Grant and Simon Helberg On "Florence Foster Jenkins" | BUILD Series

Incidentally it is also pointed out that both Simon Helberg on piano and Meryl Streep as the singer are accomplished and the sound is of their actual performing. And Streep can sing properly too.

For the uninitiated, here is a recording of the real Florence singing:
(2023-11-16, 11:24 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]Meryl Streep as the singer

She also sang her parts for the Mama Mia movie Thumbs Up