Psience Quest

Full Version: Consciousness restored in man after 15 years in vegetative state
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
(2017-09-28, 10:24 AM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]Then look up the legal definition.

I assume you refer to the word corroborate, yes?

Would it make you feel a fool to know I did?  Because it should.

The "legal" definition is precisely what I pasted into the post, from Merriam Webster dictionary when I wrote the post, not because I needed to know the definition, but because I assumed you would jump to find some gap between my particular wording, and the dictionary's. 

Doesn't that indicate to you how pre-programmed, pat, pedantic(should I look this one up too?), weak, and predictable your response is? It would to me.

Come on Steve001. Step it up and have a real conversation, and stop nitpicking around the edges of ideas by making lame claims about incorrect word usage. That's so bush-league. 

You are better than that,,, I think.
(2017-09-28, 11:11 AM)jkmac Wrote: [ -> ]I assume you refer to the word corroborate, yes?

Would it make you feel a fool to know I did?  Because it should.

The "legal" definition is precisely what I pasted into the post, from Merriam Webster dictionary when I wrote the post, not because I needed to know the definition, but because I assumed you would jump to find some gap between my particular wording, and the dictionary's. 

Doesn't that indicate to you how pre-programmed, pat, pedantic(should I look this one up too?), weak, and predictable your response is? It would to me.

Come on Steve001. Step it up and have a real conversation, and stop nitpicking around the edges of ideas by making lame claims about incorrect word usage. That's so bush-league. 

You are better than that,,, I think.

If you go back you'll see I did not reply to what is a fact question. Instead I asked how can experience  (of a personal nature be corroborated)?
(2017-09-28, 11:26 AM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]If you go back you'll see I did not reply to what is a fact question. Instead I asked how can experience  (of a person nature be corroborated)?

I think you will never find the quality of evidence you require. So why bother?

Do you spend time here because you are looking? Or looking for a fight?
(2017-09-28, 11:31 AM)jkmac Wrote: [ -> ]I think you will never find the quality of evidence you require. So why bother?

Do you spend time here because you are looking? Or looking for a fight?

To see if what is believe to be true is. And to point out where I think folks have weak positions.
(2017-09-27, 10:21 PM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]In my youth I hung out with people that were just  like you and Tim and Alex.... .

Why am I like Alex ? Just curious ?
(2017-09-28, 02:43 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Why am I like Alex ? Just curious ?

Aw man ya had to ask?.. Smile
(2017-09-28, 11:01 AM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]No insult. Just stating what I did. I used them as examples because we all know them.

Well the obvious problem is: I don't know WHICH traits you are referring to where you compare us. But I'll just let that go. My comment was mostly in jest anyway.
(2017-09-28, 01:29 PM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]To see if what is believe to be true is. And to point out where I think folks have weak positions.

Just humour me Steve and take a quick look at this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvcTKtsx...e=youtu.be

Go to 19.20 and listen to the second guy in the red tie being interviewed by Michael Sabom. His name is Pete Morton, a night watchman, just an ordinary guy like you or me. Listen to his narrative, he's just telling it as it is but what he's telling is impossible if consciousness is limited to the brain.

Is he full of shit ? Do you think he's lying ? Sabom checked out his report against the hospital notes (which Morton had never seen) and they tallied perfectly. The same with the five other best cases he had. Why should we automatically discount what they've told us ?
(2017-09-28, 02:54 PM)Obiwan Wrote: [ -> ]Aw man ya had to ask?.. Smile

I don't mind being out in the stocks for a few tomatoes Wink
(2017-09-28, 10:49 AM)jkmac Wrote: [ -> ]I'm pretty sure you know that I believe this too. So that's not the point. 

However: I believe that on a day to day basic we also do have free will. Which means we do make choices that may or may not be in alignment with the theme and major milestones of our life, that WE planned ourselves and which we MAY or MAY NOT make happen through our actions.

So although we have a plan, we do NOT have a script. So assessing our own actions as we go along is important so we can use our intuition (aka- higher self) to assess our progress and correct our course. If we simply shrug our shoulders at every turn and assume that this was "supposed to happen" we become passive and complacent and disconnected from the process of living. Not only is that a bad way to live (in my mind) it also dulls our capacity for managing our way.

It seems like you are saying we don't need to keep our hand on the steering wheel and that the car will just steer itself, maybe that works for you intellectually and philosophically, but it doesn't for me.

Perhaps you should look at it this way: I am "supposed to" question these things. That is MY path.

Perhaps that is how the world actually works. If everyone sat around with a vague passive smile on their face, sitting in the middle of the road, blocking traffic, mumbling that all is "as it should be", the world would be a disfunctional mess for everyone. You wouldn't have your trash picked up, or running water in your apartment. 

It's just annoying to the players on the field making things happen, that there are some who sit on the sidelines saying this to them and smugly saying that they needn't play the game at all. Because those people on the sidelines get to have it both ways. They can be passive and accepting of whatever happens, while poking fun at those who are doing, while also benefiting from the fact that those idiots are doing stuff like driving ambulances and providing the infrastructure for them to live a life.

Sometimes that smugness is a real annoyance.

Physical reality requires actions that are generated by belief systems. Those actions ground the experience in physical reality and if you only take an intellectual approach, you're never grounding as is required. It is most assuredly a "hands on the wheel".

I would have thought that, if anything, with all that you know about me, and so much more that you don't, that ypu would come away with a POV as above.

What is it you think I am doing on this forum but exactly that process of being myself and putting down for all to see, grounding my beliefs in physical reality. It certainly is not about convincing you or them or anyone else, it is entirely about the process of action and grounding.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8