Psience Quest

Full Version: Top Down or Bottom Up?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Quote:The first in a series of video posts that explore the big questions about what is real. This first video is 4:45 minutes long and introduces the series with the most basic question: Why? Why is the universe here? Why does it feature life? And why are we here? This suggests there are two roads to travel on the journey to find answers –– a road of physicalism in which matter and forces are all there is and all there ever will be, or the road of “something more.”

Quote:The second video in the Top Down series. In this we explore the beginning of our universe and consider the possibility of the megaverse. Science has no answer yet as to how it began and what was before the beginning. But it appears certain that our universe had a beginning, as did all universes if more than one exists. What does it mean to accept a beginning? Can it help answer the question of intention. And why there is something rather than nothing?

See also this associated Medium article.

Quote:In the introductory video we said the key question posed in this top down or bottom up series is intention. Is the universe we observe an accident of nature? Can it be explained through the laws of physics as a result of forces and particles? Or was it intended, brought into being as an act of will? The fact is, there is no natural explanation for the existence of the universe. Not yet, anyway. We know quite a bit about its beginning down to the tiny fraction of a second after the initial explosion began. We don’t know what was there before that explosion or why it was put there. We don’t know how it could be possible that all the particles in the entire unbelievably vast universe could be packed into something that only a God’s eye could see. Or how laws could magically emerge from this same infinitesimal point. And we don’t know who lit the fire that set off the explosion that resulted in what we call our universe.
I watched all three.  Interesting if not enlightening.  My big question is: How did you find these?  I was like viewer number 38 or something.  VERY obscure YouTuber.  I'm impressed!