Psience Quest

Full Version: Study: Psilocybin Builds Positive Connections in the Brain
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Study: Psilocybin Builds Positive Connections in the Brain

by Admin

Quote:As it turns out, psilocybin’s capacity to spark unexpected mental connections might be tied to physical connections within the brain. In a formal study, a group of Danish scientists found that a single psychoactive dose of psilocybin increased the connectivity between neurons in the brains of pigs, which are structurally similar to human brains.

This could also shed some light on the feeling of “mind expansion” that entheogens like psilocybin are known for: Perhaps when we have this sensation, it’s a sign that the brain’s library of synapses has just gotten a little larger.
It doesn't say whether the pigs were less depressed or were more creative or had better problem-solving skills. Nor does it say whether they experienced expanded consciousness. I'm trying to picture a bunch of pigs contemplating the universe. Before their demise that is.
(2021-04-24, 05:56 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]It doesn't say whether the pigs were less depressed or were more creative or had better problem-solving skills. Nor does it say whether they experienced expanded consciousness. I'm trying to picture a bunch of pigs contemplating the universe. Before their demise that is.

Just as an aside, I wonder why we (we as humans) think we have the right to treat these animals like this. Pigs are just as intelligent as dogs and yet we abuse them all the time. I'm not accusing anyone, just saying.