Psience Quest

Full Version: LSD Effects
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have just come across this interesting new study, the article about which was post Jan 30th.
It essentially shows that LSD causes neuronal connections that would normally be limited to certain interactions to become uninhibited and free to make connections to other areas it wouldn't normally be able to.

The argument here states that this less organised activity may account for the enhanced consciousness associated with LSD trips.

https://www.psypost.org/2021/01/neurosci...RWWUbl4h4M

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts as to what this means for the brain generation hypothesis (ie brain creates consciousness)
(2021-02-03, 03:14 PM)Darren_SeekingI Wrote: [ -> ]I have just come across this interesting new study, the article about which was post Jan 30th.
It essentially shows that LSD causes neuronal connections that would normally be limited to certain interactions to become uninhibited and free to make connections to other areas it wouldn't normally be able to.

The argument here states that this less organised activity may account for the enhanced consciousness associated with LSD trips.

https://www.psypost.org/2021/01/neurosci...RWWUbl4h4M

Would be interested in hearing your thoughts as to what this means for the brain generation hypothesis (ie brain creates consciousness)

Yes, it's part of what Robin Carhart Harris was working on (I think). The first author will be an undergraduate and this might be part of her thesis, might be wrong. He presented a previous paper about this if I've got it right  showing psychedelic substances, instead of firing up the brain to produce exceptional experiences, actually dampened down brain activity (to produce them)

So it clearly does not favour mind=brain, otherwise one would expect to see the opposite, surely. Just my thoughts.
(2021-02-03, 05:05 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]Yes, it's part of what Robin Carhart Harris was working on (I think). The first author will be an undergraduate and this might be part of her thesis, might be wrong. He presented a previous paper about this if I've got it right  showing psychedelic substances, instead of firing up the brain to produce exceptional experiences, actually dampened down brain activity (to produce them)

So it clearly does not favour mind=brain, otherwise one would expect to see the opposite, surely. Just my thoughts.

I recall Kastrup noting the decrease?

I'm sure he'll offer some commentary on this study, as one of his followers or forum-members is sure to send it to him.
(2021-02-03, 11:26 PM)Darren_SeekingI Wrote: [ -> ]The link I got came from a Bernardo Kastrup Fanclub Facebook page.

Then Kastrup will probably make a reply soon, as IIRC he's among the main proponents of the decrease in blood flow correlating with richer experiences.

Of course there are other people who think psychedelics reveal a greater reality who aren't necessarily wedded to the idea that the brain activity diminishes during a trip. To them the shift in function could be akin to flipping the channel of perception.