Psience Quest

Full Version: Are We Living in an Ancestor Simulation? | PBS Space Time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought there would be a longer discussion on Star Talk but it seems this is it? ->

And another link on Star Talk with NDTyson discussing the Simulation Hypothesis ->

I swear Neil deGrasse Tyson is obsessed with the Simulation Theory  LOL . He's been discussing it rather enthusiastically for many years IIRC.
(2020-06-18, 11:02 PM)OmniVersalNexus Wrote: [ -> ]I swear Neil deGrasse Tyson is obsessed with the Simulation Theory  LOL . He's been discussing it rather enthusiastically for many years IIRC.

I have to admit I was surprised by how emphatic he's become about the fact we are apparently living in a simulation.

Personally I have significant doubts, largely because I don't think you can take a Turing Machine and produce minds (consider this Turing Machine, the Tinkertoy Computer, for instance...).

You would need a different kind of structure. (Hammeroff has argued Orch-OR would allow for uploads of minds into some kind of lattice structure capable of preserving the quantum relationships, to give one potential example...)

edit: There is a really interesting kind of Simulation Argument, the Dualist Peer to Peer Hypothesis, that we've had a good discussion about...but this is different that Tyson's idea that all you need is the right computer programs and no one needs to be plugged in...