Psience Quest

Full Version: Pam Reynolds' NDE--the "clicks": Continuous or discontinuous?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
(2019-07-24, 06:57 AM)Laird Wrote: [ -> ]Done.

And reverted per discussion in the thread Max_B started: https://psiencequest.net/forums/thread-locking-threads

Chris

(2019-07-22, 01:14 PM)tim Wrote: [ -> ]...
Burst suppression flattens brainwaves. That’s simply a fact. The ratio of burst to suppression, varies according to the dosage of barbiturates (then). See here in the paragraph below.

Therapy (barbiturate, propofol, or halogenated anesthetic) is titrated to an electroencephalographic (cEEG) endpoint. Complete pharmacologic suppression results in a flat-line EEG. Typically, a 1:10 burst to suppression ratio is chosen as an arbitrary endpoint, but this is neither evidence based nor a universal practice. In other words, a 10 second screen of EEG would have 1 second of burst activity and 9 seconds of flat-line EEG. Optimal dosing is unknown and there is no evidence base to guide therapy (6).

https://www.openanesthesia.org/burst_suppression/

As this thread has been reopened, I'll ask one question if I may.

Is it known what the burst suppression ratio was in the case of Pam Reynolds?

To avoid any misunderstanding about my reason for asking this, it's because there is some experimental literature on the relationship between the burst suppression ratio and the depth of anaesthesia. If it's known what the BSR was in this case, it may be possible to reach some kind of evidence-based conclusion about what the effect of burst suppression would have been. I hope people agree that would be in everyone's interests.
(2019-07-25, 07:44 AM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]As this thread has been reopened, I'll ask one question if I may.

Is it known what the burst suppression ratio was in the case of Pam Reynolds?

To avoid any misunderstanding about my reason for asking this, it's because there is some experimental literature on the relationship between the burst suppression ratio and the depth of anaesthesia. If it's known what the BSR was in this case, it may be possible to reach some kind of evidence-based conclusion about what the effect of burst suppression would have been. I hope people agree that would be in everyone's interests.
Would be awesome, we should ask somebody who had access to medical records.

Chris

(2019-07-25, 08:18 AM)Raf999 Wrote: [ -> ]Would be awesome, we should ask somebody who had access to medical records.

For all I know, it may already be in the published literature about the case.
(2019-07-25, 08:26 AM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]For all I know, it may already be in the published literature about the case.

It is - see our book The Self Does Not Die, in particular chapter 11 with an addendum by Dr Karl Greene, the neurosurgeon who assisted Dr Robert Spetzler, the lead surgeon who operated Pam Reynolds. Greene has responded to several relevant questions.

Smithy

Chris

(2019-07-29, 11:32 AM)Smithy Wrote: [ -> ]It is - see our book The Self Does Not Die, in particular chapter 11 with an addendum by Dr Karl Greene, the neurosurgeon who assisted Dr Robert Spetzler, the lead surgeon who operated Pam Reynolds. Greene has responded to several relevant questions.

Smithy

Thanks. Then I'd be interested to know what the burst suppression ratio was if anyone can post it here.
(2019-07-29, 12:06 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks. Then I'd be interested to know what the burst suppression ratio was if anyone can post it here.

Oh, I see!

Due to my illness I had not read this whole thread... now I understand your problem.

Anyway, there is no such thing as a suppression ratio mentioned anywhere.

All we know is Speztler's statement that Pam was under burst suppression, and therefore was not in a state that was in accordance with the suppositions made by critics and skeptics.

As far as I and others are concerned the texts in our book The Self Does Not Die re the Pam Reynolds case are the final words on this matter. If you are nor happy with that... then so be it. We cannot go on forever.

Cheers - Smithy
Umh, well I think that if even woerlee never mentioned Burst Suppression AW, it probably is close to impossible. A hardcore skeptic anesthesiologist (and a good one too) would have used that option during arguments if it was plausible.

Chris

(2019-07-29, 01:15 PM)Smithy Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, I see!

Due to my illness I had not read this whole thread... now I understand your problem.

Anyway, there is no such thing as a suppression ratio mentioned anywhere.

All we know is Speztler's statement that Pam was under burst suppression, and therefore was not in a state that was in accordance with the suppositions made by critics and skeptics.

As far as I and others are concerned the texts in our book The Self Does Not Die re the Pam Reynolds case are the final words on this matter. If you are nor happy with that... then so be it. We cannot go on forever.

Cheers - Smithy

Thanks for answering the question about whether the ratio was mentioned in the literature.
Pages: 1 2 3