Psience Quest

Full Version: Why your emotions and senses go haywire on a plane
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Why your emotions and senses go haywire on a plane

Hannah Sampson

Quote:Jodi De Luca, a clinical psychologist in Colorado who considers the effect of altitude on emotions one of her areas of interest, says passengers might feel a lack of control over their environment or a sense of anxiety that something bad could happen on the plane. That prompts the brain to produce a stress hormone, which can result in an increased heart rate and faster breathing.

“It’s not just psychological or emotional, it’s also a physical and physiological event. It’s never any one variable. And that’s important,” she says.

“We are cognitively, psychologically, emotionally [compromised], and now we’re physiologically compromised. The setup is perfect for an emotional vulnerability.”

Combine that with possible fatigue, plus immobilization, high altitude, reduced oxygen in the blood and dehydration due to dry air, and it’s a wonder everyone isn’t blubbering constantly.
"Do your emotions and senses go haywire on a plane?".

Is this a phenomenon?
(2019-06-26, 09:26 AM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]"Do your emotions and senses go haywire on a plane?".

Is this a phenomenon?

It’s nothing to do with ‘altitude’ itself imo, but rather, something related to fear of dying!
(2019-06-26, 10:28 AM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]It’s nothing to do with ‘altitude’ itself imo, but rather, something related to fear of dying!

Ok, but your answer to the question (as I myself posed it) is "yes".

Personally my answer was "no", I don't recognise this phenomenon. Hence my puzzlement at attempts to explain "it".
(2019-06-26, 10:41 AM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]Ok, but your answer to the question (as I myself posed it) is "yes".

Personally my answer was "no", I don't recognise this phenomenon. Hence my puzzlement at attempts to explain "it".

Ok, I’ll explain fully.

I think some people may behave ‘unusually’ when in on a plane. Whether I would choose to describe it as ‘having their emotions and senses go haywire’ is debatable. I would prefer to say that they are in a heightened state of emotion, often a controlled state, and this is closely related to fear of something happening, which would not be there were they on the ground. And it’s a relatively high percentage of the people on board imo.

So I would say that it’s not a case of a simple yes or no. It’s somewhere in between, and much more complicated.
I can only speak for myself. Sitting in a passenger seat, my emotions have ranged from momentary elation during take-off, followed by boredom. The prospect of what was to come in the destination, and reminiscences of what had elapsed before departure were probably the main extraneous thought.

As for in-flight movie, trying to watch the ending while the attendants serve food or drink was perhaps the main thing I recall.

I've not asked them, but I just assumed most passengers were much the same, primarily bored.
(2019-06-26, 12:09 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]I can only speak for myself. Sitting in a passenger seat, my emotions have ranged from momentary elation during take-off, followed by boredom. The prospect of what was to come in the destination, and reminiscences of what had elapsed before departure were probably the main extraneous thought.

As for in-flight movie, trying to watch the ending while the attendants serve food or drink was perhaps the main thing I recall.

I've not asked them, but I just assumed most passengers were much the same, primarily bored.

While that may be the case with you, I know it’s not the case with many. I would say that most people are quite nervous of flying, and that is with people that have usually flown before and are familiar with aviation. 

When I was hour building, I’d take a few people up on short trips to see what it’s like in a small plane. After landing there was always a feeling of relief and a light mood. Having a teasing nature, I’d ask if anyone would like to go again, firmly changing the mood - the majority definitely did not!  

I think most flights are a subconscious display of bravery for many!
Presumably though Stan, though I realise during your long experience there would be some flights which were stressful,  guess mostly it was an enjoyable experience for you.

The first time I ever flew was by invitation of a friend, we were sharing the costs. My friend sat in the back with a camera to get shots of the scenery below. I sat next to the pilot. I have to say it was great fun. The only worrying moment was the take off. Bearing in mind I'd never done this before and had no idea what to expect. I sat there looking through the windscreen, staring down the runway at the small clump of woodland ahead, as we rushed headlong towards it, at ever-increasing speed. Then, remarkably we floated into the air. It was a glorious feeling. The rest of the flight was great too. Afterwards, as my friend and I made a short train journey home, I reflected on what a primitive and clumsy means of transport was the train. I just wanted to fly again! But it was years before I did, and then in something much larger, and no longer able to see forwards, only a small peep sideways.
(2019-06-26, 12:55 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]Presumably though Stan, though I realise during your long experience there would be some flights which were stressful,  guess mostly it was an enjoyable experience for you.

The first time I ever flew was by invitation of a friend, we were sharing the costs. My friend sat in the back with a camera to get shots of the scenery below. I sat next to the pilot. I have to say it was great fun. The only worrying moment was the take off. Bearing in mind I'd never done this before and had no idea what to expect. I sat there looking through the windscreen, staring down the runway at the small clump of woodland ahead, as we rushed headlong towards it, at ever-increasing speed. Then, remarkably we floated into the air. It was a glorious feeling. The rest of the flight was great too. Afterwards, as my friend and I made a short train journey home, I reflected on what a primitive and clumsy means of transport was the train. I just wanted to fly again! But it was years before I did, and then in something much larger, and no longer able to see forwards, only a small peep sideways.

From what you describe, I’d say that were circumstances slightly different, you’d have been well capable of seriously catching the bug! 

Captain Typoz. Nice.  Wink

It’s strange. Once I was fanatical about flying, now I’m an ‘ordinary punter’ I am quite nervous. A lot depends on circumstances.
(2019-06-26, 12:09 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]I can only speak for myself. Sitting in a passenger seat, my emotions have ranged from momentary elation during take-off, followed by boredom. The prospect of what was to come in the destination, and reminiscences of what had elapsed before departure were probably the main extraneous thought.

I'm the same way. Excited by the take-off and landing. Enjoy the view. Enjoy the snacks. Then bored. ...But my first flight was around age 6 in a small Cessna and I've had a love for flight ever since. I'd be flying F-18's right now if I didn't have Lyme Arthritis.
Pages: 1 2