Psience Quest

Full Version: Brain health rests on heart health: Guidelines for lifestyle changes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Brain health rests on heart health: Guidelines for lifestyle changes

Monique Tello, MD, MPH

Quote:Several key protective health habits are highly recommended:

Regular physical activity — any activity, for at least 150 minutes per week, is number one on the list of evidence-based actions you can take. Exercise clearly lowers the risk of dementia, even Alzheimer’s. Studies show that people who exercise more are less likely to develop dementia of any kind, and this stands even for adults with mild cognitive impairment.

Eating a plant-based diet is crucial. There is substantial research evidence showing that eating a diet high in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, healthy fats, and seafood is associated with a significantly lower risk of cognitive decline and dementia. This approach to eating is often referred to as the Mediterranean-style diet, but it can be adapted to any culture or cuisine.

The WHO also recommends avoiding toxic, inflammatory foods like processed grains (white flour, white rice), added sugar, sodium, and saturated fats like butter and fatty meat. It’s important to note that the WHO does not recommend taking any vitamins or supplements for brain health, because there is no solid evidence showing that these have any effect whatsoever. Just eat a healthy plant-based diet and avoid unhealthy foods as much as possible.

The WHO also issues strong recommendations to avoid or quit smoking and to minimize alcohol use, especially in those who already have cognitive concerns.
(2019-06-21, 05:36 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]And that none of this has anything to do with the medical profession.

Curious - why the last part?
(2019-06-21, 05:36 AM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]...and then you die anyway. Just like everyone dies. Their ain’t any way to avoid it... if you’re alive, your going to die.

I like Max's realistic approach to life. There's far too much pretending goes on. Medicine has achieved great things but as he says, we're all going to die whether we get Alzheimer's or not. It's not worth giving up alcohol (if you use it fairly responsibly) just to live an extra 5 years. 

As to assisted suicide, I'm not exactly sure what Max is proposing there. My default position would always be not to
begin the slippery slope to getting rid of grannie (before she's ready). But that's off topic now.
(2019-06-21, 04:44 PM)Max_B Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think the medical profession should interfere with changing the law, or changing society, so that people can choose if they wish... as to when and how they want to die.

RE: The British Medical Association on euthanasia...

I would just take the issue away from the medical profession completely by scraping the idea of physician assisted suicide. The medical sector in it's entirety have a clear conflict of interest - their revenue stream is dependent on keeping people alive.

Very vaguely, I would look at creating a new class of professional, completely outside of the medical profession, who is trained to assist people to die in the way they wish. You could not be a member of, or work within both professions.

There would need to be some checks put into the process, but again, the medical profession (psychiatrists etc) could not be involved in those checks. Something very very vaguely along the lines of swearing an oath in front of a Judge, that this is what the person wants to do. The Judge can then authorize assistance to be rendered legally. The Judge would have little grounds available to them to refuse etc. There may need to be a cooling off period, and other processes/checks. But it should be cheap, quick, simple and low cost.

Dunno if that's the explanation you were looking for?

Yeah, thanks for clarifying - I lean more toward Tim's worries but I think you articulated your position very well here!