Psience Quest

Full Version: Quantum Biology? - Scientists discover signalling circuit boards inside body's cells
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Scientists discover signalling circuit boards inside body's cells

Quote:Using high-powered microscopes, they were able to observe the wiring network with the help of computing techniques similar to those that enabled the first ever image of a black hole to be obtained.

Scientists say their findings are an example of quantum biology—an emerging field that uses quantum mechanics and theoretical chemistry to solve biological problems.

The study, published in Nature Communications, was funded by the British Heart Foundation.

Professor Mark Evans, of the University of Edinburgh's Centre for Discovery Brain Sciences, said: "We found that cell function is coordinated by a network of nanotubes, similar to the carbon nanotubes you find in a computer microprocessor.

"The most striking thing is that this circuit is highly flexible, as this cell-wide web can rapidly reconfigure to deliver different outputs in a manner determined by the information received by and relayed from the nucleus. This is something no man-made microprocessors or circuit boards are yet capable of achieving."
Though I find quantum biology very intriguing, and highly relevant to the topics we consider here on this forum, I found myself distracted and looking tangentially towards the topic of carbon nanotube microprocessors. Wink
(2019-05-29, 12:44 PM)Typoz Wrote: [ -> ]Though I find quantum biology very intriguing, and highly relevant to the topics we consider here on this forum, I found myself distracted and looking tangentially towards the topic of carbon nanotube microprocessors. Wink

Admittedly we are in the very slow phase of quantum biology, to the point where it is hard to say what gains will definitely be made.

I do think there will be more and more findings supporting field/quantum effects, and that these will relate to consciousness, but that is just my personal opinion....