Psience Quest

Full Version: Astrophysicists scramble to patch a hole in the universe, rewriting cosmic history in
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Astrophysicists scramble to patch a hole in the universe, rewriting cosmic history in the process.

Dennis Overbye

Quote:Long, long ago, when the universe was only about 100,000 years old — a buzzing, expanding mass of particles and radiation — a strange new energy field switched on. That energy suffused space with a kind of cosmic antigravity, delivering a not-so-gentle boost to the expansion of the universe.

Then, after another 100,000 years or so, the new field simply winked off, leaving no trace other than a speeded-up universe.

So goes the strange-sounding story being promulgated by a handful of astronomers from Johns Hopkins University. In a bold and speculative leap into the past, the team has posited the existence of this field to explain an astronomical puzzle: the universe seems to be expanding faster than it should be.
My fav part is this. 
Quote:If dark energy remains constant, everything outside our galaxy eventually will be moving away from us faster than the speed of light, and will no longer be visible. The universe will become lifeless and utterly dark.
(2019-02-28, 09:53 PM)Steve001 Wrote: [ -> ]My fav part is this.
Quote:If dark energy remains constant, everything outside our galaxy eventually will be moving away from us faster than the speed of light, and will no longer be visible. The universe will become lifeless and utterly dark.

I'm not sure how wise it is to admit that on a public forum. You never know when officers of the law might be watching.
Ah whoops meant for this to go in Alternative Views Confused Confused
(2019-03-01, 03:55 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]Ah whoops meant for this to go in Alternative Views Confused Confused

No probs. Moved there.