Psience Quest

Full Version: Where proponents might disagree?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I think it might be interesting to examine a few places where proponents, broadly defined, might disagree:

- Whether mind=brain is true. I think this is divorced from the question of materialism, because it depends on what a brain is. For example under Bernardo's Idealism a brain upon death rejoins the Transcendent/One. As we've discussed in the past many proponents see this as no better than the oblivion Materialism offers.

- Free will. For some this is due to karmic chains on causation, for others this is God's foreknowledge of all Time. I admit the latter has surprised me when theistic proponents claim God knows us so well he knows all we might do. This seems like a restatement of mechanistic-materialism in function.

- Evolution. Is there an Intelligent Designer (or more than one such entity)? I can't see how one gets from ID to the kind of God, say, Muslims/Jews/Christians worship. Personally it seems Psi effects would explain the issues presented? That or teleology in the sense of Aristotle's final causes.

- The "ism" of the Real. I don't think this necessarily is a major point of contention for most proponents, beyond the falsity of materialist/phyiscalism. Even then I think the primary concern is life after death whether that's accomplished by Information as Fundamental, Quantum Souls, or Idealism/Dualism.

- What does parapsychology have to say about religion? To me it seems parapsychology kills most mainstream religion while fulfilling some potential meta-religion. Prophets could be gifted with Psi of some sort, or aided by discarnate entities who aren't God. NDEs seem to offer a message different from religion, that or the contradictory nature of "missionary" NDEs cuts against any particular faith being right.
Could this be a poll?

Personally, I have an opinion about A (mind isn't brain) and E (psi kills most mainstream religion), but B-C-D I have no fixed opinion, although am sympathetic to the notion of some degree of free will.
(2018-12-27, 08:36 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]Could this be a poll?

Personally, I have an opinion about A (mind isn't brain) and E (psi kills most mainstream religion), but B-C-D I have no fixed opinion, although am sympathetic to the notion of some degree of free will.

Hmm I am happy for someone to include a poll but I'm not sure I could make a good one! Big Grin
It would be a bit complicated...
(2018-12-27, 08:49 PM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ]It would be a bit complicated...

One idea is multiple polls, one for each question followed by discussion followed by a new poll? Huh
That's definitely an idea, Sci.

If you go ahead with it, make sure one of the options for each is "I don't know! (and/or have no opinion)" Smile

Or maybe, for each, e.g. for free will, "I am inclined towards free will but not sure".

Just do it if you feel like it and have the time, 'cause it sounds like potentially a lot of work!
I don't think I can make polls using the forum software? Or am I just missing it?
(2018-12-28, 06:24 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: [ -> ]I don't think I can make polls using the forum software? Or am I just missing it?

Yes you can. When you hit the first button to start a thread, you'll see the option at the bottom, like in the screenshot I've attached.
OK now I've failed to attach the screenshot, let me try again.
here it is
Pages: 1 2