Psience Quest

Full Version: Dark Energy May Be Incompatible With String Theory
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dark Energy May Be Incompatible With String Theory

A controversial new paper argues that universes with dark energy profiles like ours do not exist in the “landscape” of universes allowed by string theory.

Quantamagazine.org
Natalie Wolchover
Senior Writer/Editor
August 9, 2018

Quote:The conjectured formula — posed in the June 25 paper by Vafa, Georges Obied, Hirosi Ooguri and Lev Spodyneiko and further explored in a second paper released two days later by Vafa, Obied, Prateek Agrawal and Paul Steinhardt — says, simply, that as the universe expands, the density of energy in the vacuum of empty space must decrease faster than a certain rate. The rule appears to be true in all simple string theory-based models of universes. But it violates two widespread beliefs about the actual universe: It deems impossible both the accepted picture of the universe’s present-day expansion and the leading model of its explosive birth.
(2018-08-15, 04:19 AM)Ninshub Wrote: [ -> ][url=https://www.quantamagazine.org/dark-energy-may-be-incompatible-with-string-theory-20180809/][/url]
Quote:But it violates two widespread beliefs about the actual universe: It deems impossible both the accepted picture of the universe’s present-day expansion and the leading model of its explosive birth.

So... String Theory is basically refuting the Big Bang Theory? That's what I'm reading here.

Not that I believe either theory.
In fairness to those intellectually honest physicists out there, I am sympathetic to the birth and death of many (most?) theories.

Its guys like Krauss that dishonestly extrapolate known physical laws and, even worse, unproven physical theories to justify their worldview (e.g., atheistic) as scientifically sound or valid.