Psience Quest

Full Version: New meta-analysis of dream-ESP studies
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
(2017-11-28, 07:55 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know whether anyone has actually tried to read this paper, but if anyone has ...

Can someone explain what the authors mean by:
(i) Same perceiver studies versus different perceiver studies,
(ii) Single perceiver studies versus multiple perceiver studies and
(iii) Single subject (i.e. 1 percipient) studies versus multiple perceiver studies?

Apparently these are meant to be three different distinctions. I understand what the third means, but not the first two. I keep hoping the authors will explain themselves, but I've just read the relevant part of the results section, and I'm still in the dark.

Well, I didn't read the paper, however
Quote:(i) Same perceiver studies versus different perceiver studies,
sounds like either testing the same person multiple times versus testing multiple people just once - or something along those lines.

That sounds somewhat similar to the third one. I think the difference is that 'multiple perceiver' means more than one person is simultaneously participating in the same task.

And yes, I should really have read the paper before commenting. Sorry about that.
(2017-11-28, 07:55 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]I don't know whether anyone has actually tried to read this paper, but if anyone has ...

Can someone explain what the authors mean by:
(i) Same perceiver studies versus different perceiver studies,
(ii) Single perceiver studies versus multiple perceiver studies and
(iii) Single subject (i.e. 1 percipient) studies versus multiple perceiver studies?

Apparently these are meant to be three different distinctions. I understand what the third means, but not the first two. I keep hoping the authors will explain themselves, but I've just read the relevant part of the results section, and I'm still in the dark.

From looking at the papers the authors referenced as examples, this is my guess. The categories are not mutually exclusive. Sometimes multiple people were involved in the same trial and their results were either considered individually, or they were pooled into a single result.

Same perceivers across dream trials means that multiple trials were performed by the same people (singly or as a group), each treated as a separate trial (Dalton). This excludes Foulkes (only one trial was run per person) and Kathmani (while 2 trials were run per person, they were treated as a single unit).

Single perceiver studies mean there was only one perceiver per trial. This excludes Dalton in which several people contributed (through consensus) to each trial.

A study can fit into more than one category. For example, a study of a single star subject would fit into all three (same perceiver for multiple separate trials, single perceiver per trial, star perceiver).

Linda

Chris

Thanks for your suggestions. Maybe the best thing about this is that the differences in effect size are so small in each case, so whatever distinctions exactly they are looking at, they don't seem to be practically important.
Pages: 1 2