Psience Quest

Full Version: Random forum fighting thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
(2017-10-17, 10:50 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: [ -> ]Well, just try saying that 'the spirit body leaves the physical body and we should investigate this phenomenon' on a mainstream science show and see how far you get.

lol

Then slip in "oh, it's actually an etheric body" followed by "no matter, we never leave Spirit anyway, this show is an illusion just as we are" and watch the jaws crack.

Chris

(2017-10-17, 11:27 PM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]It is difficult not to generalise when, in general, scientists tend to marginalise their colleagues who do have an active interest in psi. Do you think that is true or some fantasy dreamed up by the proponents here? I'm really interested to know because it has been suggested in the past that the scientists interested in psi research (other than the debunkers) are not subject to ostracism but are, in fact, encouraged. Personally, from all the comments I have read online and in science based mainstream media (TV shows and newspaper articles), it is my impression that in active interest in psi is career suicide for most.

You begin by saying it happens in general, and then you ask me whether that's true.
(2017-10-17, 11:41 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]You begin by saying it happens in general, and then you ask me whether that's true.

Yes. In your opinion?
(2017-10-17, 11:41 PM)Chris Wrote: [ -> ]You begin by saying it happens in general, and then you ask me whether that's true.

Your observation about the proponents here being anti-science seems to me to be a generalisation too. I'm trying to offer an alternative view of why we might seem that way.

Chris

No, I don't mean to say that proponents here are anti-science in general. After all, the site-owners are proponents, and they came up with the Psience Quest name. There just seems to be a lot of anti-science on the site at the moment.

Chris

(2017-10-17, 11:45 PM)Kamarling Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. In your opinion?

I don't know. I used to work in science, but it never came up, because psi had no point of contact with what I or my colleagues were working on. That must be the case for the great majority of the scientific world. Most working scientists have no reason to form a professional opinion about psi.

My guess is that it would be the scarcity of funding for psi research that would make that career path a difficult one. But that's very different from the idea of being marginalised or ostracised by colleagues.
I sat beside the interwebs
Humble, fat and small.
A keyboard warrior, spoke to me
I couldn't see at all
He said my ideals
We're the "worst he'd ever read"
I garnered the impression
That he wished me quite unsaid
I asked about the lavish,
Or the gimilicrack I'd seen?
In thundered his response
"THOSE are just your DREAMS"
When I asked him all sincere
How to see the light?
He told me that my kind
"Were naught but froth and blight"

(With apologies to john lennon)
Some of the foremost scientists of their day, ie who actually investigated the subject, were convinced by the results of their own research. I’m not suggesting that the subject should automatically be accepted as having been validated by ‘science’ as a result but scientists who have actually done research have attested to the genuineness of some phenomena. 

I wonder how many scientists who are determined cynics have actually conducted the same degree of research?
(2017-10-18, 12:26 AM)Oleo Wrote: [ -> ]I sat beside the interwebs
Humble, fat and small.
A keyboard warrior, spoke to me
I couldn't  see at all
He said my ideals
We're the "worst he'd ever read"
I garnered the impression
That he wished me quite unsaid
I asked about the lavish,
Or the gimilicrack I'd seen?
In thundered his response
"THOSE are just your DREAMS"
When I asked him all sincere
How to see the light?
He told me that my kind
"Were naught but froth and blight"

(With apologies  to john lennon)

I've no real idea what the poem means, but it's good to see you posting Oleo.  Smile
(2017-10-17, 11:15 PM)Pssst Wrote: [ -> ]I'm just relaying channelled material so you can take it or leave it ... Tongue

I guess that leaves some people unmoved. Second-hand information regardless of origin is already distant.

By the time it is typed on here anything posted is already second-hand, from an anonymous user on the internet. But the matters of importance on which I comment come from direct personal experience, of the type which interrupts the routines of normal life and insists on being heard. If one gets caught in a storm and is tossed around by its force, one can no longer can be vague about the reality of such matters. That's why I post on these forums.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10