Search Results
    Thread: Sam Harris Reddit thread

I'm always surprised seeing anyone on Reddit be friendly to a non-materialist/physicalist view, given that Reddit has a very large, very vocal militant atheist/anti-theist majority.
Posted by OmniVersalNexus in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-12-22, 12:20 AM
 815     7
    Thread: Steven Novella claims this study on mice 'destroys dualism'
Post: RE: Steven Novella claims this study on mice 'dest...

Neurosurgeon Michael Egnor in Mind Matters (https://mindmatters.ai/2020/12/has-neuroscience-proved-that-the-mind-is-just-the-brain/) has commented on Novella's new screed. He takes him apart as he sho...
Posted by nbtruthman in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-12-03, 05:21 PM
 780     8
Post: RE: Steven Novella claims this study on mice 'dest...

I have heard it said Novella conflates dualism with 'vitalism' or something? Or he tries to compare it to that.  I'm personally surprised at how critical his comments section are of him from time t...
Posted by OmniVersalNexus in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-12-03, 10:06 AM
 780     8
Post: Steven Novella claims this study on mice 'destroys...

This came to my attention via that NDE Twitter account. Apparently, Novella posted last month about a recent study on the behaviour of mice and how their brain regions are involved in decision making....
Posted by OmniVersalNexus in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-12-03, 12:44 AM
 780     8
    Thread: Our Solar System Is Even Stranger Than We Thought

Our Solar System Is Even Stranger Than We Thought (https://getpocket.com/explore/item/our-solar-system-is-even-stranger-than-we-thought?utm_source=pocket-newtab) Lauren Weiss Quote: -- In a...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in UFOs (and Related) , 2020-03-16, 07:16 AM
 389     0
    Thread: Do the Laws of Physics Rule Out the Paranormal?
Post: RE: Do the Laws of Physics Rule Out the Paranormal...

A common argument amongst parapsychologists is that paranormal phenomena can be explained without inventing new science. (I think this is an effort to be more acceptable to mainstream scientise (Norma...
 1,105     7
    Thread: Do the Laws of Physics Rule Out the Paranormal?

Do the Laws of Physics Rule Out the Paranormal? (https://verbosestoic.wordpress.com/2020/02/10/do-the-laws-of-physics-rule-out-the-paranormal/) Allan Cybulskie Quote: -- So, while rea...
 1,105     7
    Thread: Jerry Coyne really doesn't like panpsychism.

malf Wrote: (2020-01-11, 06:22 AM) -- I really don’t see the problem with panpsychism. Consciousness is so ill-defined and nebulous that it’s hard to get worked up when someone postulates an (equally...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2020-01-11, 09:02 AM
 864     5
    Thread: Consciousness during CPR

Raf999 Wrote: (2019-12-23, 05:43 PM) -- Honestly I just saw skeptics asking third parties about the rainbow, and getting answers that didn't fit in with Eben's story. The proponents then asked his fa...
Posted by Ika Musume in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2019-12-23, 06:14 PM
 13,372     101
    Thread: Consciousness during CPR

Raf999 Wrote: (2019-12-18, 09:48 AM) -- Constant failures from studies, Van Lommel's being wrong on rhe zero EEG and blood flow during CPR, unrealible accounts on what is considered veridical OBEs, m...
Posted by tim in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2019-12-18, 03:47 PM
 13,372     101
    Thread: Trial will put humans into suspended animation

Maybe? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sounds a lot like what Pam Reynolds went through, so there's a chance. If they happen, whether we ever hear about them depends greatly on willingness to report them, as always.
Posted by Will in Skeptic vs. Proponent Discussions , 2019-11-20, 07:23 PM
 1,038     3
    Thread: Science as we know it can’t explain consciousness – but a revolution is coming
Post: RE: Science as we know it can’t explain consciousn...

Panpsychism is only the "simplest" theory if your metaphysical worldview is a Reductive Physicalist one...
 617     1
    Thread: Subash Kak: Computers will never be conscious

Why a computer will never be conscious (https://theconversation.com/why-a-computer-will-never-be-truly-conscious-120644) Subash Kak Quote: -- ...Even before Turing’s work, German quantum ph...
Posted by Sciborg_S_Patel in General Consciousness Science , 2019-10-28, 05:59 PM
 810     8
    Thread: Darwin Unhinged: The Bugs in Evolution

Some more amazing examples of insect mimicry (https://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/animals/photos/11-amazing-examples-of-insect-camouflage/dead-leaf-butterfly): I would like to know the detailed history...
 150,314     1,483
    Thread: Finding the root of consciousness [?]

Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: (2019-10-02, 10:13 PM) -- I guess it's not clear to me what you're suggesting - surely there will be some aspects of the brain necessary for instantiation of a conscious human ...
Posted by nbtruthman in General Consciousness Science , 2019-10-03, 11:55 PM
 1,733     13

A new, brilliant and expert take-down of modern neo-Darwinism has just come out. Well-known Yale professor, leading intellectual and computer scientist David Gelernter recently rejected Darwinian evo...
 150,314     1,483
    Thread: Finding the root of consciousness [?]

Chris Wrote: (2019-10-01, 04:15 PM) -- Courtesy of David Metcalfe - Neuroscience News reports a paper in the journal Frontiers in Systems Neuroscience which suggests that cortical layer 5 pyramidal (...
Posted by nbtruthman in General Consciousness Science , 2019-10-02, 08:43 AM
 1,733     13

Ika Musume Wrote: (2019-07-13, 11:39 PM) -- I absolutely admire Dr. James Tour! What I find hilarious about this video and others pertaining to him is that the arguments in the comments try their bes...
 150,314     1,483
    Thread: The “computer” model of the brain is invalid

How close is AI to simulating all the incredible things that happen in the brain? Answer: not even to the first step. Not even in principle. From  Why the Brain Is Not At All Like a Computer (https:/...
 356     0
    Thread: Neurocosmology: physical source of the consciousness revolution
Post: Neurocosmology: physical source of the consciousne...

Physical Origins of the Consciousness Revolution  by James E. Beichler Yale conference, Society for Scientific Exploration, 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfbdMetpr28 Quote: -- Despite...
 424     0