When was Elohim changed into God?

41 Replies, 5833 Views

Does anyone here know when the word Elohim in the bible was changed into the word God?

In the Masoretic Bible, that are written in hebrew, the words Jahveh and Elohim are used. This is known for a long time. Some parts of the bible speak more about Jahveh, that would be spelled JHVH, and sometimes pronounced as Yehovah; Other parts talk about the Elohim. The Elohim is also well know to be many.

In all versions of the bible they have today the words Jahveh and Elohim are changed into the words Lord and God. Including in the Jehova witness's bible version.

Was this change done even before the christian era?
Was the Gnostics aware of this phenomena?

Link to Vatican translator Mauro Biglino.
https://maurobiglino.com
(This post was last modified: 2018-01-27, 06:13 PM by Slorri.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slorri's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2018-01-27, 06:11 PM)Slorri Wrote: Does anyone here know when the word Elohim in the bible was changed into the word God?

In the Masoretic Bible, that are written in hebrew, the words Jahveh and Elohim are used. This is known for a long time. Some parts of the bible speak more about Jahveh, that would be spelled JHVH, and sometimes pronounced as Yehovah; Other parts talk about the Elohim. The Elohim is also well know to be many.

In all versions of the bible they have today the words Jahveh and Elohim are changed into the words Lord and God. Including in the Jehova witness's bible version.

Was this change done even before the christian era?
Was the Gnostics aware of this phenomena?

Link to Vatican translator Mauro Biglino.
https://maurobiglino.com

Apparently it does predate the Christian era, as the Septuagint usually translates Elohim as “Theos”.
[-] The following 2 users Like Guest's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Slorri
(2018-01-27, 07:35 PM)Chris Wrote: Apparently it does predate the Christian era, as the Septuagint usually translates Elohim as “Theos”.

Thanks. That is good information.

It might even be there it all happened.
Elohim is used in the Tanakh, the jewish bible. 70 jewish scholars were commissioned at 300 BC to translate Tanakh into Greek, where Elohim turns up as Theos. 

Septuagint - What is It?

“Elohim” in Biblical Context
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
Genesis 1:26

Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Genesis 3:22

And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

This together with such things as animal sacrifices and Joshua 4.9 where Joshua is commanded to set up 12 standing stones and an altar stone makes me think the OT reveals Judaism's pagan past.  I believe that, until Jesus, the bible is a progressive revelation of God and not at all infallible.
(2018-05-11, 08:25 AM)Brian Wrote: Genesis 1:26

Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals, and over all the creatures that move along the ground."

Genesis 3:22

And the LORD God said, "The man has now become like one of us, knowing good and evil. He must not be allowed to reach out his hand and take also from the tree of life and eat, and live forever."

This together with such things as animal sacrifices and Joshua 4.9 where Joshua is commanded to set up 12 standing stones and an altar stone makes me think the OT reveals Judaism's pagan past.  I believe that, until Jesus, the bible is a progressive revelation of God and not at all infallible.

Of course these two phrases says nothing about any god or gods.

Genesis 1:26 starts: Elohim said let us make adam in our image...
Genesis 3:22 starts: Yehova elohim said behold adam is become as one of us...

To understand this we need to know who were these elohim and Yehova elohim.

The "jews" apparently does not utter the name JHVH, that would be Yehova, but they substitute the name for "the name". They consider it a sin to say Yehova.

It is also curious to learn that "name" in hebrew is "shem", the same as Shem, the forefather of the semites.
https://www.gotquestions.org/Shem-in-the-Bible.html
  • tim
(2018-05-13, 09:15 PM)Slorri Wrote: Of course these two phrases says nothing about any god or gods.

Genesis 1:26 starts: Elohim said let us make adam in our image...
Genesis 3:22 starts: Yehova elohim said behold adam is become as one of us...

To understand this we need to know who were these elohim and Yehova elohim.

The "jews" apparently does not utter the name JHVH, that would be Yehova, but they substitute the name for "the name". They consider it a sin to say Yehova.

It is also curious to learn that "name" in hebrew is "shem", the same as Shem, the forefather of the semites.
https://www.gotquestions.org/Shem-in-the-Bible.html

Without knowing what "Elohim" means, it's impossible to tell.  It might be translatable as "The gods"
When reading "YHWH" (the J comes from the latin) the jews substituted "Adonai" which means "Lord" which is why the KJV uses LORD in capital letters whenever YHWH occurs.

http://www.religionfacts.com/yhwh

https://www.gotquestions.org/meaning-of-Elohim.html
(This post was last modified: 2018-05-13, 09:41 PM by Brian.)
I discovered from my wife (who has a linguistics degree) that it was in fact common in ancient Hebrew to use a plural noun with regards a singular object so Elohim is not necessarily plural.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brian's post:
  • Doug, tim, Laird
(2018-05-14, 08:37 AM)Brian Wrote: I discovered from my wife (who has a linguistics degree) that it was in fact common in ancient Hebrew to use a plural noun with regards a singular object so Elohim is not necessarily plural.

A point which was also covered in the link provided by Slorri in the third post to this thread: “Elohim” in Biblical Context.
(This post was last modified: 2018-05-14, 09:56 AM by Laird.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • Brian, tim
(2018-05-14, 08:37 AM)Brian Wrote: I discovered from my wife (who has a linguistics degree) that it was in fact common in ancient Hebrew to use a plural noun with regards a singular object so Elohim is not necessarily plural.

The plural is still used in that way sometimes. The Royal "We" for example? Smile
(This post was last modified: 2018-05-14, 10:02 PM by Obiwan.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Brian, tim, Laird
(2018-05-14, 09:56 AM)Laird Wrote: A point which was also covered in the link provided by Slorri in the third post to this thread: “Elohim” in Biblical Context.

Good point.  I missed that!

• View a Printable Version