What theories of consciousness are falsifiable

38 Replies, 3968 Views

(2018-02-07, 08:49 AM)Max_B Wrote: Theorising about such vague ideas is pointless.

Spoilsport.  Wink
(2018-02-06, 07:57 PM)Chris Wrote: What I wonder is where psi fits into this viewpoint. (This is, after all, a site whose theme is the discussion of psi.)

So are the sceptics here implicitly assuming that the evidence for psi can be dismissed? Or are they assuming that even if psi does exist, it can somehow be accommodated into an essentially materialist view of the world, by tweaking the laws of physics or something?

I feel you've an understanding.
(2018-02-07, 01:14 PM)Steve001 Wrote: I feel you've an understanding.

I'm afraid I don't understand what that means.
(2018-02-07, 01:46 PM)Chris Wrote: I'm afraid I don't understand what that means.
Oops.  Forgot to answer the first question so let's start over.
Quote:So are the sceptics here implicitly assuming that the evidence for psi can be dismissed?

No

Quote:Or are they assuming that even if psi does exist, it can somehow be accommodated into an essentially materialist view of the world

Yes.

Quote:, by tweaking the laws of physics or something?

"Or something". That something would be a deeper understanding of the nature of this universe as quantum physics gives over classical physics.
(This post was last modified: 2018-02-07, 02:10 PM by Steve001.)
(2018-02-07, 02:08 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Oops.  Forgot to answer the first question so let's start over.

No

Yes.

"Or something". That something would be a deeper understanding of the nature of this universe as quantum physics gives over classical physics.

Thanks. That is interesting. 

I'd be interested to hear whether that's also the view of the other "sceptics" here.
(2018-02-07, 02:08 PM)Steve001 Wrote: "Or something". That something would be a deeper understanding of the nature of this universe as quantum physics gives over classical physics.

It depends on how you're interpreting it, whether through the lens of physicalism, panpsychism or idealism.

Max Planck, founder of Quantum Theory, was an idealist who thought that consciousness was primary, and the some founders of Quantum Physics were religious, at least. Many of the experiments around Quantum Physics certainly suggest that mind can affect matter non-locally.

Does this suggest that Consciousness is somehow some kind of field that arose from Quantum Physics' interactions? You'd then have to explain how Quantum Physics came to exist. If Quantum Physics arose from Consciousness, however, it makes sense, at least to me and other idealists.

In any case, Quantum Physics is still somewhat mysterious and very curious.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
~ Carl Jung

[-] The following 1 user Likes Valmar's post:
  • The King in the North
(2018-02-07, 02:43 PM)Valmar Wrote: It depends on how you're interpreting it, whether through the lens of physicalism, panpsychism or idealism.

Max Planck, founder of Quantum Theory, was an idealist who thought that consciousness was primary, and the some founders of Quantum Physics were religious, at least. Many of the experiments around Quantum Physics certainly suggest that mind can affect matter non-locally.

Does this suggest that Consciousness is somehow some kind of field that arose from Quantum Physics' interactions? You'd then have to explain how Quantum Physics came to exist. If Quantum Physics arose from Consciousness, however, it makes sense, at least to me and other idealists.

In any case, Quantum Physics is still somewhat mysterious and very curious.

The personal philosophical inclinations of long dead, recently dead and still alive physicists are of no importance. What matters is what can be demonstrated.

There are other theories the pilot wave theory is one https://youtu.be/RlXdsyctD50. And this vid should be watched too. The quantum experiment that broke reality. https://youtu.be/p-MNSLsjjdo

(This post was last modified: 2018-02-07, 03:09 PM by Steve001.)
(2018-02-07, 02:57 PM)Steve001 Wrote: The personal philosophical inclinations of long dead, recently dead and still alive physicists are of no importance.

How arrogant, lol. They're the ones responsible for laying the deeply embedded groundwork for these theories. However, that doesn't stop others from distorting and misinterpreting the theories through their own reality-bubbled biases. Of course they matter.

(2018-02-07, 02:57 PM)Steve001 Wrote: There are other theories the pilot wave theory is one https://youtu.be/RlXdsyctD50.

Quote:There’s one interpretation of the meaning of quantum mechanics that manages to skip a lot of the unphysical weirdness of the mainstream interpretations: it's de Broglie-Bohm pilot wave theory.

There are some pretty out-there explanations for the processes at work behind the incredibly successful mathematics of quantum mechanics - things are both waves and particles at the same time, the act of observation defines reality, cats are alive and dead, or even: the universe is constantly splitting into infinite alternate realities. The weird results of quantum experiments seem to demand weird explanations of the nature of reality. In this episode, Matt discusses de Broglie-Bohm pilot wave theory, the one interpretation of quantum mechanics that remains comfortably, stodgily physical.

I see... the theory attempts to cripple Quantum Physics by restricting it down to good, old reductionist physicalism! I'm not surprised...

His interpretation seems just an attempt to explain away QP altogether, because if it's not "comfortable" that it's not physical.

(2018-02-07, 02:57 PM)Steve001 Wrote: And this vid should be watched too. The quantum experiment that broke reality. https://youtu.be/p-MNSLsjjdo

"Broke reality?" Nah, just Quantum wave-particle weirdness at play. The physicalists can't accept this, seemingly. Everything must be particle matter and physics, lol.

As for "breaking" reality, this is an impossibility. If you've "broken" reality, then maybe it's the theories that are broken and suspect.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
~ Carl Jung

(This post was last modified: 2018-02-07, 03:16 PM by Valmar.)
(2018-02-07, 03:14 PM)Valmar Wrote: How arrogant, lol. They're the ones responsible for laying the deeply embedded groundwork for these theories. However, that doesn't stop others from distorting and misinterpreting the theories through their own reality-bubbled biases. Of course they matter.

I see... the theory attempts to cripple Quantum Physics by restricting it down to good, old reductionist physicalism! I'm not surprised...

His interpretation seems just an attempt to explain away QP altogether, because if it's not "comfortable" that it's not physical.

"Broke reality?" Nah, just Quantum wave-particle weirdness at play. The physicalists can't accept this, seemingly. Everything must be particle matter and physics, lol.

As for "breaking" reality, this is an impossibility. If you've "broken" reality, then maybe it's the theories that are broken and suspect.
Yes, it's horribly arrogant of me to think philosophies will not answer the questions of the nature of nature. I'm sure you realize it's arrogant of you to imply your perspective is righteous.
(This post was last modified: 2018-02-07, 03:54 PM by Steve001.)
(2018-02-07, 03:46 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Yes, it's horribly arrogant of me to think philosophies will not answer the questions of the nature of nature.

Um... physicalism / materialist are both philosophical stances which happen to currently monopolize the sciences.

And in the end, what we have are a myriad of philosophical positions which colour our respective views of the world. There is no-one who doesn't have some sort of philosophical position, even if they're not aware of it.

(2018-02-07, 03:46 PM)Steve001 Wrote: I'm sure you realize it's arrogant of you to imply your perspective is righteous.

The philosophy you adhere to is just as arrogant about claiming to have the answers about the nature of reality, so...
~ Carl Jung

(This post was last modified: 2018-02-08, 11:58 AM by Valmar.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Valmar's post:
  • The King in the North

• View a Printable Version