Twin Peaks Thread - S1&2 + Return + Fire Walk With Me

58 Replies, 8851 Views

So...what #$%# happened at the end of The Return? Big Grin
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Doppelgänger
Has it finished now?

I am very frustrated, because having enjoyed the original so much I was desperate to see the sequel. But I don't have a TV. I thought I'd have to wait to see it on DVD, but then I discovered that Sky in the UK has an online version. The only snag was that it wouldn't work properly on either of my laptops. I struggled to about halfway through the series, watching either a very low-resolution picture or a picture several seconds out of synch with the sound, but finally gave up and thought I'd wait for the DVD after all. (I did get far enough to have my mind blown and my sleep disrupted by Episode 8.)

But I suppose I can't read the rest of this thread because it will spoil it for me?
(2017-09-06, 05:39 PM)Chris Wrote: Has it finished now?

I am very frustrated, because having enjoyed the original so much I was desperate to see the sequel. But I don't have a TV. I thought I'd have to wait to see it on DVD, but then I discovered that Sky in the UK has an online version. The only snag was that it wouldn't work properly on either of my laptops. I struggled to about halfway through the series, watching either a very low-resolution picture or a picture several seconds out of synch with the sound, but finally gave up and thought I'd wait for the DVD after all. (I did get far enough to have my mind blown and my sleep disrupted by Episode 8.)

But I suppose I can't read the rest of this thread because it will spoil it for me?

There's no way to get the 7 day Showtime Trial in the UK?

If it's the only thing you want from Showtime you could use that to finish the series maybe?
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(2017-09-06, 05:44 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: There's no way to get the 7 day Showtime Trial in the UK?

If it's the only thing you want from Showtime you could use that to finish the series maybe?

Thanks. That hadn't occurred to me. I just tried through YouTube and Amazon, but it won't let me as I'm outside the USA.  Sad
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
Anyway, if they've prepared the ground for a further sequel in 25 years' time, that will provide an incentive for surviving until old age. The only one so far.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • Laird
*cough* https://solarmoviez.to/movie/twin-peaks-...20770.html *cough*
I never watched the movie 'fire walk with me' because it bombed. However, I went and watched it just to catch any references.
And boy, they were right.... one of the most atrociously bad movies I could have seen. No wonder the actress playing Laura Palmer was just a dead person in the original series run.... she can't act!!!  lol

Now I'm reading some stuff on the internets now reframing 'fire walk with me' in lieu of the new series end, as being 'genius'. Oh please, no.... the movie was garbage and still is garbage.

Moving on....

I have a love/hate with ambiguous, unresolved endings. Otoh, the human mind demands story resolution. But that can be construed as trite, formulaic and unhip.
However, just tossing out some ambiguity nonsense just because... well that sucks too.

Outside of those gripes, I really love the surreal moments in series 3. Some are real creepy. Lynch & Frost at their best even in geezerhood.
Did I mention Agent Tammy Preston is HAAAAAWT!!   Big Grin
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-08, 03:06 AM by iPsoFacTo.)
(2017-09-06, 05:26 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: So...what #$%# happened at the end of The Return? Big Grin

I'm going to have to rewatch Parts 17 and 18 before I can even begin to attempt to answer that. Of course, I have read others' speculations and interpretations, but I am still working on my own thoughts. But I really need to do a rewatch first, I think.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doppelgänger's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2017-09-08, 02:54 AM)iPsoFacTo Wrote: I never watched the movie 'fire walk with me' because it bombed. However, I went and watched it just to catch any references.
And boy, they were right.... one of the most atrociously bad movies I could have seen. No wonder the actress playing Laura Palmer was just a dead person in the original series run.... she can't act!!!  lol

Now I'm reading some stuff on the internets now reframing 'fire walk with me' in lieu of the new series end, as being 'genius'. Oh please, no.... the movie was garbage and still is garbage.

Moving on....

I have a love/hate with ambiguous, unresolved endings. Otoh, the human mind demands story resolution. But that can be construed as trite, formulaic and unhip.
However, just tossing out some ambiguity nonsense just because... well that sucks too.

Outside of those gripes, I really love the surreal moments in series 3. Some are real creepy. Lynch & Frost at their best even in geezerhood.
Did I mention Agent Tammy Preston is HAAAAAWT!!   Big Grin

Well, to each their own, I guess! I saw FWWM in 1992, and I loved it! I felt it really focused on Laura's suffering and the domestic tragedy of the Palmers. It seemed to me that Lynch really wanted to tell her story, since in the series she was merely a corpse, a ghost. I felt a lot of sympathy, compassion for her. I also think that Sheryl Lee gave a fearless performance. But one man's garbage is another man's treasure and all that, right? Smile

I also think that Chrysta Bell (Tammy) was, um, not good in The Return, as far as acting, but she is an artist/musician, not an actress, so I don't hold that against her and didn't mind her character. She is beautiful, though, I agree.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-08, 09:24 AM by Doppelgänger. Edit Reason: punctuation )
[-] The following 2 users Like Doppelgänger's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, iPsoFacTo
(2017-09-08, 02:48 AM)iPsoFacTo Wrote: *cough* https://solarmoviez.to/movie/twin-peaks-...20770.html  *cough*

Thanks! That seems to work. I won't feel too bad about using it, considering I've already tried my best to pay to watch it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Guest's post:
  • iPsoFacTo, Laird

• View a Printable Version