Things may be stored differently from the way I experience them

11 Replies, 2233 Views

For some
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring 
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
(This post was last modified: 2020-07-06, 05:15 PM by Max_B.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Max_B's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, stephenw, malf
'Information' isn't stored. Information is accessed from parallel realities which we automatically choose (unconsciously) as it is needed and relevant.

You did a good job on the 4D analysis btw maybe this will help.

Think of space-time as a 100% thing. The more space you have, the less time is involved. Versa-visa.
This post has been deleted.
Why do two 2-dimensional sheets give you 4 dimensions?

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
(2017-10-23, 08:49 AM)Max_B Wrote: I'm assuming you mean at 2)? ...I've simply added the minimum number of coordinates needed to define a location on these unconnected 2-D sheets (spaces) together, as a way of trying to explain an idea.

To specify a location among two 2-dimensional surfaces, we need {0,1}, x, y. That doesn't get us the third and fourth continuum dimensions. Yet you said it equals 4D. That's what has me confused.

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-23, 07:05 PM by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos.)
(2017-10-23, 07:49 PM)Max_B Wrote: I don't understand the maths you've written, so can't really help.

To specify any point on two 2-dimensional surfaces, we must specify which surface (0 or 1), then the x, y position on that surface. What we don't have is a complete 4-dimensional continuum, where we would specify x, y, z, w. Two 2-dimensional surfaces are not equivalent to one 4-dimensional hyperspace.

~~ Paul
If it's analogous to 3D space + 1D time = 4D, then it's not a question of specifying one or the other, and then a location in the one you've specified. Each point will have a location in both of the 2D spaces - that is, 4 coordinates, which does amount to a 4D space.

I'm not saying I really understand it, mind you.
(2017-10-23, 08:41 PM)Chris Wrote: If it's analogous to 3D space + 1D time = 4D, then it's not a question of specifying one or the other, and then a location in the one you've specified. Each point will have a location in both of the 2D spaces - that is, 4 coordinates, which does amount to a 4D space.
It's two points, one in each of the 2D spaces, because you can't allow:

point A at 1, 2 and 3, 4
point B at 5, 6 and 3, 4

If you do, then two points are sharing the same position on the second surface.

~~ Paul
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-23, 08:52 PM by Paul C. Anagnostopoulos.)

• View a Printable Version