"The U.S. Military Believes People Have a Sixth Sense"

6 Replies, 1394 Views

Quote:Because of the stigma of ESP and PK, the nomenclature has changed, allowing the Defense Department to distance itself from its remote-viewing past. Under the Perceptual Training Systems and Tools banner, extrasensory perception has a new name in the modern era: “sensemaking.”

http://time.com/4721715/phenomena-annie-jacobsen
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-01, 12:14 AM by E. Flowers.)
[-] The following 4 users Like E. Flowers's post:
  • Jim_Smith, Ninshub, Laird, Sciborg_S_Patel
A little piece about intuition, not ESP per se, but still interesting... In particular when it comes to funding --almost 4 millions- to basically "hone their senses".
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
[-] The following 2 users Like E. Flowers's post:
  • Ninshub, Sciborg_S_Patel
I suppose I look at these things and think, "what would it look like if there was no intuition or psi?" and in this case, it seems that it would look exactly like this, that there are some who are at the end of the random bell curve who have great luck with not stepping on IEDs, etc. and others who have decent luck and some who step on an IED their first day on patrol. The fact that there are soldiers who seem to possess this talent seems exactly how it would look if there is no psi or intuition, so it doesn't seem particularly persuasive to me. That said, I do believe it's probably a real thing...I just like to point out when an argument could be made if the thing is not real, as well.
[-] The following 2 users Like berkelon's post:
  • Smaw, Brian
You could be right, but that that line of reasoning , taken to an extreme, leaves the world bereft of mystery and imagination.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oleo's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2017-09-02, 12:33 AM)Oleo Wrote: You could be right, but that that line of reasoning , taken to an extreme,  leaves the world bereft of mystery and imagination.

In its place we gain knowledge instead of mystery. Imagination remains however.
Mystery is the playground of imagination and creativity. In my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oleo's post:
  • Doppelgänger
(2017-09-01, 02:19 AM)berkelon Wrote: I suppose I look at these things and think, "what would it look like if there was no intuition or psi?" and in this case, it seems that it would look exactly like this, that there are some who are at the end of the random bell curve who have great luck with not stepping on IEDs, etc. and others who have decent luck and some who step on an IED their first day on patrol. The fact that there are soldiers who seem to possess this talent seems exactly how it would look if there is no psi or intuition, so it doesn't seem particularly persuasive to me. That said, I do believe it's probably a real thing...I just like to point out when an argument could be made if the thing is not real, as well.

Don't we then need to explain what "luck" is if individuals have it?

What I think would be valuable would be interviewing the "lucky" soldiers - do they feel they have a sixth sense, or perhaps are guided by a crisis apparition?
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

• View a Printable Version