The Skeptiko post-trauma thread

234 Replies, 25669 Views

While I can understand some people here were upset with Alex for making changes to his forum, I don't understand the need to troll the Skeptiko forum now that a new forum has been established. Alex isn't perfect, but he provided a forum and he gave us a lot of great shows to enjoy for a number of years. He did it all on his own dime. There were never any ads on the show. And he made it clear from the start that it was his journey and it was going to go wherever it took him.

I'm grateful for what Alex did for us. I didn't always agree with how he did it, but he's given a lot to this community.

That's why it disgusts me to see people from here going over to ruin the fun of those who would still like to hang out at Skeptiko. I won't name names, but it's pretty obvious who is doing it. If you want to bitch about Skeptiko over here or in your blogs. that's your business. But why troll Skeptiko?

Anyway, this isn't a forum I want to belong to anymore. I was asked to be a founding member, but I had misgivings about it and declined the offer. I figured that I would wait and see how things went with it. But I don't want to be a part of this. I do wish you all well and hope your new forum is a success.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-26, 02:48 AM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Guest's post:
  • Enrique Vargas, Reece
This post has been deleted.
I agree and applaud everything you said about Alex and Skeptiko but why paint the whole new forum with the transgressions of a few aholes?
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry's post:
  • tim, Ninshub, Doug
Took a quick glance, I'm not sure this trolling extends beyond a single person? As such I hope you will reconsider.

However I can't force you to stay but given my own separation from Skeptiko it'll be sad we won't be interacting much. Ideally we can talk a bit over email sometime, I'm still interested in the interview set ups we've discussed in the past even if it's not for Psience Quest or Skeptiko.

Wish you the best,

Sci
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2017-08-25, 05:38 PM by Sciborg_S_Patel.)
I've been a long term member of skeptiko. I have a right to shit post there. Alex can ban me if he wants.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chuck's post:
  • Stan Woolley
(2017-08-25, 05:36 PM)chuck Wrote: I've been a long term member of skeptiko. I have a right to shit post there. Alex can ban me if he wants.

It's probably best to just go your separate ways. Alex and I reached this conclusion over email, wherein the agreed upon solution was to delete my account.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Bucky, Stan Woolley
(2017-08-25, 05:41 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: It's probably best to just go your separate ways. Alex and I reached this conclusion over email, wherein the agreed upon solution was to delete my account.

True.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chuck's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2017-08-25, 05:36 PM)chuck Wrote: I've been a long term member of skeptiko. I have a right to shit post there. Alex can ban me if he wants.

I hope he does ban you, and whatever sockpuppets you come up with next.

That is a pretty mean comment. I can ban you too - I think I will keep an eye out for you.

Edit: Indeed, I went back there and someone had reported you - so you are banned there. Why on earth do you want to be so childish?

David
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-25, 06:05 PM by DaveB.)
(2017-08-25, 05:35 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Took a quick glance, I'm not sure this trolling extends beyond a single person? As such I hope you will reconsider.

However I can't force you to stay but given my own separation from Skeptiko it'll be sad we won't be interacting much. Ideally we can talk a bit over email sometime, I'm still interested in the interview set ups we've discussed in the past even if it's not for Psience Quest or Skeptiko.

Wish you the best,

Sci

Clearly, one person has been behind a lot of it. But there is other stuff that concerns me as well, such as the over the top criticism of David Bailey's moderating by many people here. I wouldn't want the job, it's not fun or easy, and no matter what you do, someone will complain. And at some point, every forum needs a moderator to make a tough decision.

I'll keep my account open here for a bit so you can PM me and we can keep in contact. Thanks for reaching out.
[-] The following 4 users Like Guest's post:
  • Brian, Sciborg_S_Patel, Doug, Larry

• View a Printable Version