The Penn Ghost Project

17 Replies, 1951 Views

We Asked An Expert Why People Believe In—and Hunt—Ghosts

Justin McDaniel, one of the founders of the Penn Ghost Project, an interdisciplinary group of academics that explores humanity's relationship with the otherworldly.

When you think of ghosts, what comes to mind? Translucent floating objects with peculiarly cutout black eyeholes? Dead spirits that roam around dilapidated abandoned buildings? King Hamlet? At the University of Pennsylvania, a group of professors—all from different academic backgrounds—have come together to ask themselves this very question. Taking an interdisciplinary approach to studying ghosts, members of The Penn Ghost Project have spent the better part of the last four years using "diverse explorations into...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yvxxd...ctive-1030
(This post was last modified: 2017-11-04, 08:18 PM by Steve001.)
(2017-11-04, 05:21 PM)Steve001 Wrote: We Asked An Expert Why People Believe In—and Hunt—Ghosts

Justin McDaniel, one of the founders of the Penn Ghost Project, an interdisciplinary group of academics that explores humanity's relationship with the otherworldly.

When you think of ghosts, what comes to mind? Translucent floating objects with peculiarly cutout black eyeholes? Dead spirits that roam around dilapidated abandoned buildings? King Hamlet? At the University of Pennsylvania, a group of professors—all from different academic backgrounds—have come together to ask themselves this very question. Taking an interdisciplinary approach to studying ghosts, members of The Penn Ghost Project have spent the better part of the last four years using "diverse explorations into...

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/yvxxd...ctive-1030

You seem to be laying down a lot of "bait" today, Steve. Are you feeling particularly combative or are you just bored ?
(2017-11-04, 09:05 PM)tim Wrote: You seem to be laying down a lot of "bait" today, Steve. Are you feeling particularly combative or are you just bored ?

I posted this because someone just may find it interesting.
Well, Steve, for once I thought I might agree that this looks interesting. But as I read the interview this statement leapt out:

Quote:We don't think that there really is any evidence for the existence of ghosts and so we're not concerned about it. What we are concerned about is the sociological and cultural reality of ghosts—meaning that regardless [of whether] they exist or not, they have an impact on economics (for example in real estate sales), they have an impact on literature and movies ...

Sorry but how belief in ghosts affects real estate prices is not even close to interesting for me.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
(2017-11-04, 10:40 PM)Kamarling Wrote: Well, Steve, for once I thought I might agree that this looks interesting. But as I read the interview this statement leapt out:

Sorry but how belief in ghosts affects real estate prices is not even close to interesting for me.

Golly! One would think you're the sole member of this forum wouldn't they now?
I wasn't suggesting I was, I was responding to your post. if you don't want responses, don't post.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 2 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Silence, tim
(2017-11-04, 11:06 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Golly! One would think you're the sole member of this forum wouldn't they now?

I'm sincerely curious why you keep setting up threads about phenomena which you don't accept there is any evidence for ? I do believe in ghosts... if the definition is "spirits" or the "detached consciousness" of the "dead."

I don't mind you doing it, it's probably irresistible, like bear-baiting (not a very good analogy) is to some (I'm not saying you) but I'm amazed at how ignorant or wilfully ignorant you appear to be, in respect of the evidence that supports what you are so clearly certain, cannot be.
(This post was last modified: 2017-11-04, 11:33 PM by tim.)
(2017-11-04, 11:21 PM)tim Wrote: I'm sincerely curious why you keep setting up threads about phenomena which you don't accept there is any evidence for ? I do believe in ghosts... if the definition is "spirits" or the "detached consciousness" of the "dead."

I don't mind you doing it, it's probably irresistible, like bear-baiting (not a very good analogy) is to some (I'm not saying you) but I'm amazed at how ignorant or wilfully ignorant you appear be, in respect of the evidence that supports what you are so clearly certain, cannot be.
Sometimes I post something that may be interesting to someone, believe it or not. Trust me I'm not posting this for your edification or Kar's or to irritate (you two). When I see a topic and I see a lot (some by written by both of you) I have no interest in do you know what I do?  I keep my mouth shut as I feel no obligation or compulsion to make a comment of any sort.  I wonder if either of you can demonstrate the same restraint? Hope springs eternal.
(2017-11-04, 11:51 PM)Steve001 Wrote: Sometimes I post something that may be interesting to someone, believe it or not. Trust me I'm not posting this for your edification or Kar's or to irritate (you two). When I see a topic and I see a lot (some by written by both of you) I have no interest in do you know what I do?  I keep my mouth shut as I feel no obligation or compulsion to make a comment of any sort.  I wonder if either of you can demonstrate the same restraint? Hope springs eternal.

Wait, so let's have a crack at understanding your logic here. You post something assuming someone will find it interesting (let's ignore the fact that your posts always contain something you imagine will support your POV). Then, when someone comments that they do not find it interesting, you object and say they should shut up, right? So you only want responses which agree with your assessment that the content is interesting - in other words, you only want to hear from people who agree with you?
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kamarling's post:
  • tim
This post has been deleted.

• View a Printable Version