The OBE. Good Goal or Playing With Fire?

36 Replies, 5875 Views

(2017-09-01, 08:47 AM)Brian Wrote: I think as far as spirituality is concerned, like other paranormal or seemingly paranormal phenomena, OBEs are a distraction from the path - a by product rather than the goal ahead.  It is often taught in both eastern scools and western occultism to ignore such or at least to not draw conclusions from such experiences.  I would say a truly spiritual path relies more on adapting attitudes and understanding than on experiences.  I'm sure the experiences are a lot of fun along the way though!

This so-called 'byproduct' is exactly what you are here for. The process. Build the house then live in it. Why remove yourself from the most important experiences by labeling them otherwise? If you choose to have the experience of invalidating the process, go right ahead but your missing the entire boat-point in doing so.

Unless, of course, the whole point of your existence in physical reality is to miss the boat.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-01, 10:15 PM by Pssst.)
(2017-09-01, 10:14 PM)Pssst Wrote: This so-called 'byproduct' is exactly what you are here for. The process. Build the house then live in it. Why remove yourself from the most important experiences by labeling them otherwise? If you choose to have the experience of invalidating the process, go right ahead but your missing the entire boat-point in doing so.

Unless, of course, the whole point of your existence in physical reality is to miss the boat.

Everything you say makes sense within your current framework. But I do think that Castaneda's idea that one really needs to be a "warrior" to avoid being absorbed into the abyss following death, or as he said being eaten by the great Eagle makes some sense.  I'm not convinced we are all eternal indestructible souls. I guess as you have hinted, these selves could simply be one small part of a larger oversoul. I'm probably just over-thinking the whole thing. But I no longer feel as certain about my metaphysics as I used to. You seem very certain and that makes me wary.
[-] The following 2 users Like chuck's post:
  • Ricochet, Ninshub
This post has been deleted.
(2017-09-02, 01:33 AM)chuck Wrote: Everything you say makes sense within your current framework. But I do think that Castaneda's idea that one really needs to be a "warrior" to avoid being absorbed into the abyss following death, or as he said being eaten by the great Eagle makes some sense.  I'm not convinced we are all eternal indestructible souls. I guess as you have hinted, these selves could simply be one small part of a larger oversoul. I'm probably just over-thinking the whole thing. But I no longer feel as certain about my metaphysics as I used to. You seem very certain and that makes me wary.

Knowledge is not elitism.
(2017-09-02, 12:12 PM)Brian Wrote: I think you miss the boat when the by products of building are more important to you than the house.

You learn little by living in the house, about the house, and most everything when you build it. If you will excuse me, I am going to grill me up some burgers, enjoying the process of doing so, but I hear the McDonald's out your way has extended their closing hours.

Angel
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pssst's post:
  • Brian
(2017-09-03, 05:16 PM)Pssst Wrote: Knowledge is not elitism.
But it can be relative.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chuck's post:
  • Brian
(2017-09-10, 07:19 PM)Brian Wrote: Ah, "It is good to have an end to journey towards but it is the journey that matters in the end" (Ursula K LeGuin)
I kind of see that point but with regards spirituality, surely the learning is only to help you towards the goal?
What do you mean by spirituality and what could be the goal in your view?
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-10, 10:31 PM by Obiwan. Edit Reason: Rephrase )
(2017-09-02, 01:33 AM)chuck Wrote: Everything you say makes sense within your current framework. But I do think that Castaneda's idea that one really needs to be a "warrior" to avoid being absorbed into the abyss following death, or as he said being eaten by the great Eagle makes some sense.  I'm not convinced we are all eternal indestructible souls. I guess as you have hinted, these selves could simply be one small part of a larger oversoul. I'm probably just over-thinking the whole thing. But I no longer feel as certain about my metaphysics as I used to. You seem very certain and that makes me wary.
i tend to agree with this. In the purported channeled work from the deceased Frederick Myers, he makes a similar point - that immortality is not a given and must be earned. Could be two different ways of describing a process neither could really understand.

• View a Printable Version