The Academy for the Advancement of Postmaterialist Sciences

26 Replies, 5958 Views

Clearly an evil twin from another dimension.
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
(2017-09-13, 11:46 AM)jkmac Wrote: And who cares about "plausibility"? Is really any psi phenomenon very "plausible"?

Perception of information without signals received by one or more of the five senses is not plausible using the metaphysical materialism paradigm as a model for transactions.

Perception of information such as understanding through rational thought - seems to be a rather glaring counter-example.  Historically it was seen as outside "nature" and what made mankind "different".

Well - it is pretty clear in modern times that that rational mental work is natural and is evident that all living things are leveraging the same mental and physical affordances and tools as do humans.  This obvious need for inclusion of humanity's mental capability in the realm of normal activity of living things should re-affirm the worldview that information (with a modern definitions) is perceived directly without one of the 5 detection systems that are so beloved by materialists.

For me - some psi events are clearly not only plausible, but are to be expected as a normative natural behavior.
(2017-09-13, 02:46 PM)stephenw Wrote: Perception of information without signals received by one or more of the five senses is not plausible using the metaphysical materialism paradigm as a model for transactions.

Perception of information such as understanding through rational thought - seems to be a rather glaring counter-example.  Historically it was seen as outside "nature" and what made mankind "different".

Well - it is pretty clear in modern times that that rational mental work is natural and is evident that all living things are leveraging the same mental and physical affordances and tools as do humans.  This obvious need for inclusion of humanity's mental capability in the realm of normal activity of living things should re-affirm the worldview that information (with a modern definitions) is perceived directly without one of the 5 detection systems that are so beloved by materialists.

For me - some psi events are clearly not only plausible, but are to be expected as a normative natural behavior.

I may be misreading this- seems like you are saying that only experiences of our 5 senses are "plausible" and valid. But they are expected.?
Huh?

Yes there is the modern worldview that depends on the senses, and then there's what we can see to be true but most decide to ignore or deny, which goes WAY beyond that. 

Not sure which camp you reside in from your last post.
I think the Chinese lanterns ascending was pretty. Could that be a visual metaphore representing all of humanity going to a higher realm?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve001's post:
  • tim
Interesting and just my opinion....but If you're going to do a big "launch" like that video, isn't it wise to keep it a bit low key and leave emotion out of it. There's no need to hear an Apache tribal lament to elude to the weirdness of quantum mechanics, nor to use funny camera angles that make the scientists look a bit strange. It will just give their critics ammunition to sneer (laugh) at them before they've even heard a word they've said.

They could have vamped it up to full power after they'd got Malf on board, surely Wink (touché Malf)
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-13, 03:20 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Brian
(2017-09-13, 03:16 PM)tim Wrote: Interesting and just my opinion....but If you're going to do a big "launch" like that video, isn't it wise to keep it a bit low key and leave emotion out of it. There's no need to hear an Apache tribal lament to elude to the weirdness of quantum mechanics, nor to use funny camera angles that make the scientists look a bit strange. It will just give their critics ammunition to sneer (laugh) at them before they've even heard a word they've said.

They could have vamped it up to full power after they'd got Malf on board, surely Wink  (touché Malf)

Maybe a hard-hitting paper in a peer reviewed scientific journal would have more real impact.
[-] The following 3 users Like chuck's post:
  • Silence, malf, tim
I feel certain they will find lots of affirming evidence whether its there or not.
Why did they have ti make an introductory video that is just like all the "new agey" videos found on the interwebs?
(2017-09-13, 02:57 PM)jkmac Wrote: I may be misreading this- seems like you are saying that only experiences of our 5 senses are "plausible" and valid. But they are expected.?
Huh?

Yes there is the modern worldview that depends on the senses, and then there's what we can see to be true but most decide to ignore or deny, which goes WAY beyond that. 

Not sure which camp you reside in from your last post.
Our senses do not experience anything.  They transmit signals to the brain that can be measured as to the bits/bytes.  And as to the possible logical and meaningful possibilities that can be leveraged from the information in the signal.  (affordances - see J. J. Gibson)  People don't expect information transfer without a signal.  Yet, Sheldrake has gathered a lot of data outside that mode.

I am talking about the empirical and semi-empirical science that addresses this.

The worldview I am expressing - I think is simple.  I know that - because it is not "standard" - people are confused.  I am an informational realist and methodologically practice the separation of physical analysis from a separate but equal informational analysis.  We can talk about the cascade of electro-chemical reactions that transmit the signal and separately talk about the information transfer. 

Everybody wants to talk about mysterious "consciousness".  I want to talk about models and measurements that support signal transfer and detection of meaning.

I am in the camp that QM and Psi are natural, evidence backed and not weird.  QM talks about physical models and Quantum information processing and Psi are talking about information transfer and detection.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-13, 05:23 PM by stephenw.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes stephenw's post:
  • tim
(2017-09-13, 03:22 PM)chuck Wrote: Maybe a hard-hitting paper in a peer reviewed scientific journal would have more real impact.

I just noticed something else about it after a second spin through. The bloke (scientists) don't smile (after the initial group photo call), yet the women all do. Something not right there, Chuck. Any ideas ?

EDIT : Got it. The women (scientists) have finally discovered the meaning of life and they've refused to tell the boys, hence final victory for them in the battle of the sexes ?
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-13, 04:40 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Silence, stephenw
(2017-09-13, 03:16 PM)tim Wrote: Interesting and just my opinion....but If you're going to do a big "launch" like that video, isn't it wise to keep it a bit low key and leave emotion out of it. There's no need to hear an Apache tribal lament to elude to the weirdness of quantum mechanics, nor to use funny camera angles that make the scientists look a bit strange. It will just give their critics ammunition to sneer (laugh) at them before they've even heard a word they've said.

They could have vamped it up to full power after they'd got Malf on board, surely Wink  (touché Malf)

There seems to be a move towards parapsychologists raising research money online through crowdfunding, and I had assumed the slick and expensive-looking video was geared towards that. It seems odd to release it before the website is ready, though.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • tim

• View a Printable Version