Strange glitch

21 Replies, 6140 Views

I just tried to post on the interview thread. Instead of the post appearing I was taken back to the first page of the thread. I tried again but was told I'd already posted it. I posted a slightly different version, and then the original appeared together with the second version. I deleted the second version and that made the original disappear too. Currently "today's posts" shows it as the most recent, but if I go to the thread it's not there. There are currently 30 posts, and when it did show up it was the first on a new page. Now only three pages are displayed. I don't know whether that's anything to do with the problem.
It doesn't seem to want to display the fourth page if there's only one post on it.
I don't see a fourth page at all...?
Someone else posted there and the fourth page appeared, including a test message I did (now deleted), which hadn't been displayed before.
Oh dear. Now I've deleted the test message, the fourth page has disappeared again, including the other person's post.
(2017-08-17, 04:56 PM)Chris Wrote: I just tried to post on the interview thread. Instead of the post appearing I was taken back to the first page of the thread. I tried again but was told I'd already posted it. I posted a slightly different version, and then the original appeared together with the second version. I deleted the second version and that made the original disappear too. Currently "today's posts" shows it as the most recent, but if I go to the thread it's not there. There are currently 30 posts, and when it did show up it was the first on a new page. Now only three pages are displayed. I don't know whether that's anything to do with the problem.

Oh dear. The forum software which we're using (MyBB) is free, maintained by volunteers, so there is bound to be the odd glitch. I have noticed, too, for example, that the Alerts plugin which we're using sometimes misses the odd "Like".

Here's what I'm seeing right now:

The final post on page 3 is by Typoz. Then at the beginning of page 4 are five posts by you, all deleted, and then a post by Silence.

Do you at least see the same thing?
(2017-08-17, 08:41 PM)Laird Wrote: Do you at least see the same thing?

Just realised that you may not see the markers for deleted posts, which I see as an admin, and there is another deleted post on page 3, which messes things up.

So, when I look at the thread without logging in, here's what I see:

Final post on page 3 is by Silence.

First post on page 4 is by Will. The only other post on page 4 is Sci's.

Are you seeing the same thing?
(2017-08-17, 08:41 PM)Laird Wrote:
(2017-08-17, 04:56 PM)Chris Wrote: I just tried to post on the interview thread. Instead of the post appearing I was taken back to the first page of the thread. I tried again but was told I'd already posted it. I posted a slightly different version, and then the original appeared together with the second version. I deleted the second version and that made the original disappear too. Currently "today's posts" shows it as the most recent, but if I go to the thread it's not there. There are currently 30 posts, and when it did show up it was the first on a new page. Now only three pages are displayed. I don't know whether that's anything to do with the problem.

Oh dear. The forum software which we're using (MyBB) is free, maintained by volunteers, so there is bound to be the odd glitch. I have noticed, too, for example, that the Alerts plugin which we're using sometimes misses the odd "Like".

Here's what I'm seeing right now:

The final post on page 3 is by Typoz. Then at the beginning of page 4 are five posts by you, all deleted, and then a post by Silence.

Do you at least see the same thing?

Yes (and then some more posts). 

It's as though the part of the script calculating the number of pages was out by one, so when there was only one message on the fourth page, the script thought there were only three pages.

Whatever caused it, it must be very rare, so probably not worth bothering about. Though possibly the same thing will happen when that thread gets to 41 posts.
(2017-08-17, 08:50 PM)Chris Wrote: It's as though the part of the script calculating the number of pages was out by one, so when there was only one message on the fourth page, the script thought there were only three pages.

Whatever caused it, it must be very rare, so probably not worth bothering about. Though possibly the same thing will happen when that thread gets to 41 posts.

I'm not sure whether it helps to know that another user (I won't name that user for privacy reasons) deleted a post on page 3? Perhaps it was deleted at just such a time as to confuse you?
(2017-08-17, 08:52 PM)Laird Wrote:
(2017-08-17, 08:50 PM)Chris Wrote: It's as though the part of the script calculating the number of pages was out by one, so when there was only one message on the fourth page, the script thought there were only three pages.

I'm not sure whether it helps to know that another user (I won't name that user for privacy reasons) deleted a post on page 3? Perhaps it was deleted at just such a time as to confuse you?

No, it wasn't that. When there were 31 posts the final post wasn't displaying.

Incidentally, when I'm logged in I can see all the deleted posts - deleted by me and others.

• View a Printable Version