Rise of the Machines

5 Replies, 1492 Views

The BBC says a group of experts is urging that "killer robots" - weaponry managed by AI - should be banned:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40995835

The article is rather surreal in some places. "Those in favour of killer robots believe the current laws of war may be sufficient to address any problems that might emerge if they are ever deployed ..."

Wigged barrister walks up to killer robot. "Mr Terminator, I would submit that your actions are inconsistent with Article 15(2) of the Geneva Convention." 
(2017-08-21, 07:17 AM)Chris Wrote: The BBC says a group of experts is urging that "killer robots" - weaponry managed by AI - should be banned

Definitely agree with this, and feel strongly about it. It would be insane to allow this technology to be developed. What's your view, Chris?
(2017-08-21, 07:21 AM)Laird Wrote: Definitely agree with this, and feel strongly about it. It would be insane to allow this technology to be developed. What's your view, Chris?

It certainly sounds very scary, but given that the military aren't likely to forgo AI-assisted  weaponry I can't see it being banned.  Sad
(2017-08-21, 07:28 AM)Chris Wrote: It certainly sounds very scary, but given that the military aren't likely to forgo AI-assisted  weaponry I can't see it being banned.  Sad

Mmm... it is going to be a tough ban to promote. If we could ban war itself and in the first place, it wouldn't even be an issue. Where have all the flower children gone?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel
(2017-08-21, 07:39 AM)Laird Wrote: Mmm... it is going to be a tough ban to promote. If we could ban war itself and in the first place, it wouldn't even be an issue. Where have all the flower children gone?

As I get older, I am getting more pessimistic about improving the world, and the behaviour of politicians and civil "servants" in particular.
This post has been deleted.

• View a Printable Version