Purpose of this new forum

12 Replies, 3709 Views

OK,, 
So I got the invite and here I am.

But I'm in the dark about why this forum was created. I mean,,, what the purpose?

I'm assuming there was some hubub at the Skeptiko site that I missed?

Although I liked the Skeptiko site, I bailed many months ago due to some stuff that went on that didn't set well with me. So,, consequently I have missed the more recent goings on in the last 6 months.

Can someone fill me in?
(2017-08-14, 05:00 PM)jkmac Wrote: OK,, 

But I'm in the dark about why this forum was created. I mean,,, what the purpose?

Although I liked the Skeptiko site, I bailed many months ago due to some stuff that went on that didn't set well with me. So,, consequently I have missed the more recent goings on in the last 6 months.

Can someone fill me in?

If you have a look at this whole thread here you will get the gist of our reasons to "move on".>> http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/mi...rums.3974/
[-] The following 3 users Like Pollux's post:
  • Slorri, Ninshub, Doug
(2017-08-14, 07:25 PM)Pollux Wrote:
(2017-08-14, 05:00 PM)jkmac Wrote: OK,, 

Can someone fill me in?

If you have a look at this whole thread here you will get the gist of our reasons to "move on".>> http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/mi...rums.3974/

OK. Now I'm up to speed. Thanks Pollux.

I agree with most of the criticisms I found in the thread. The site has morphed in the last year and I have found that I seldom listen to any of the interviews anymore because they don't align with my interests,,, which haven't changed. These constant christian vs ... , and conspiracy interviews are of zero interest and value to me. I've always had issues with the trolling that goes on in the forum, but at least Alex's content had value. Unfortunately even THAT value is now hard to find. 

We'll see what there is of interest here. Unfortunately, without the interviews as a catalyst for discussion, and a source of fresh ideas and context, I have my doubts.
(2017-08-15, 12:45 AM)jkmac Wrote: We'll see what there is of interest here. Unfortunately, without the interviews as a catalyst for discussion, and a source of fresh ideas and context, I have my doubts.
That's it, optimism! That works every time. Big Grin

Just teasing you. Nice to see you here, jkmac.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • hypermagda, jkmac
Hi everyone.

I'm not sure what the big dustup at Skeptiko was, but for me, I hope this forum doesn't go down the Pizzagate rabbit hole. I am *so very much not interested* in that kind of bad nonsense, and if that's going to be a new regular discussion topic here, I will be out the door *so fast* you won't see the soles of my shoes.

Regards, Nate
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-15, 08:55 AM by natec.)
(2017-08-15, 08:53 AM)natec Wrote: Hi everyone.

I'm not sure what the big dustup at Skeptiko was, but for me, I hope this forum doesn't go down the Pizzagate rabbit hole. I am *so very much not interested* in that kind of bad nonsense, and if that's going to be a new regular discussion topic here, I will be out the door *so fast* you won't see the soles of my shoes.

Regards, Nate

Hi Nate,

Why you would leave? You would not have to read any thread you are not interested in, but your threats to leave might end up preventing people like me, who are interested, from having that discussion here. In fact you're calling it nonsense and then trying to shut off debate so people can't even reply to your assertion.

Why are you trying to impose your tastes on other people?
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-15, 10:08 AM by Jim_Smith.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Jim_Smith's post:
  • Stan Woolley, Slorri, hypermagda
(2017-08-15, 10:03 AM)Jim_Smith Wrote: Hi Nate,

Why you would leave? You would not have to read any thread you are not interested in, but your threats to leave might end up preventing people like me, who are interested, from having that discussion here. 

Why are you trying to impose your tastes on other people?

I think that's over-egging the pudding Jim.

The Skeptiko forum lost many members over a period of time, and of course new members joined. Those things are not threats, just practicalities. People join or leave a forum based upon its main sphere of activity. If the busiest threads are politics/conspiracy theory it doesn't take a genius to see how that affects members willingness to join or leave.

Here we have an opportunity for a fresh start, a chance to  shift the emphasis. Let's not throw away that chance.
[-] The following 3 users Like Typoz's post:
  • jkmac, Ninshub, Brian
Just curious. Does that mean you won't be allowing threads on politics or conspiracy topics?
(2017-08-15, 11:40 AM)chuck Wrote: Just curious. Does that mean you won't be allowing threads on politics or conspiracy topics?
I think this thread raises some of the same questions:

http://psiencequest.net/forums/showthread.php?tid=61

Short answer, nothing is firmly decided yet. Things are still under consideration.
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-15, 11:52 AM by Typoz.)
(2017-08-15, 11:40 AM)chuck Wrote: Just curious. Does that mean you won't be allowing threads on politics or conspiracy topics?
Chuck, I wrote this in another thread (Welcome to PsiQuest):

(2017-08-15, 01:31 AM)Ninshub Wrote:
(2017-08-14, 06:00 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: On politics I feel like that would be Liberaparolado's domain?

Having two forums with the same purview seems unnecessary, along with the fact that a lot of people want a parapsychology/philosophy focused space?

I'm happy to contribute something to maintain both spaces as I think it will serve the community well to have both? 

I've thoughts on a variety of things like Transhumanism, New Atheism's political effects, etc. that wouldn't fit anywhere but Other Stuff...and it's weird to have all our political threads in the same space as our fave cat videos.  Smile
Just an idea, Sci. If you could think up of a category name for a subforum that could include those sorts of topics, that could be considered.

I think the question of political discussions is more about straight political discussions, or completely non-psi-related world current events, or conspiracy theories (not CTs in general necessarily) that are really specifically tied to a current sociopolitical context - the question being do we create a space for this or not, and if so where. The door isn't shut on political discussions or CTs (especially the latter) but we need time to think about this, and ask people in the meantime to show some restraint, like we all know they can if they really try hard. Smile
I think some of us are preferring to have some space for CTs, for sure. And probably some kind of space for political discussions, but that isn't as sure. (Although nothing is completely sure right now.) The question is more about what kind of space to create for those things.

Also we may start a thread to get people's ideas - it's all too soon right now. And we're discussing other stuff, and technical matters about the forum, all in different timezones!, so it might take a few more days.

EDIT: OK, I just saw Laird put up a thread inviting people to talk about it.
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-15, 03:04 PM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Doug

• View a Printable Version