Psiencequest.net url landing page

6 Replies, 1772 Views

Surely we don't want
We shall not cease from exploration
And the end of all our exploring 
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
(This post was last modified: 2020-07-06, 09:22 PM by Max_B.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Max_B's post:
  • malf
Indeed. We need your help with this, Max. For the moment, I can have the page redirect to the forums unless somebody puts in the direct link for the scrapes URL, but I'd prefer for you or somebody else to "tart up" the landing page. Pollux has scraped the Skeptiko Forums too (CD and OT), and has handy HTML pages mirroring exactly what was scraped, so we don't need to generate HTML from my JSON data. We will eventually want those to be accessible from this homepage. If you can transform the homepage into something aesthetically pleasing, you would have our gratitude, Max.
[-] The following 2 users Like Laird's post:
  • Ninshub, Doug
This post has been deleted.
(2017-08-20, 06:22 PM)Max_B Wrote: I'm no web designer. If you're not going to import them into the myBB mysql database, I'd just store the scraped Skeptiko html files on a public area of your server, and then link to those files from a sticky post on the myBB forum itself. I can't see much difference. 

Or perhaps just add a "Skeptiko Archive" link to the menu along the top of the page?
https://community.mybb.com/thread-120571.html
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guest's post:
  • Typoz
(2017-08-20, 10:52 AM)Laird Wrote: Indeed. We need your help with this, Max. For the moment, I can have the page redirect to the forums unless somebody puts in the direct link for the scrapes URL, but I'd prefer for you or somebody else to "tart up" the landing page. Pollux has scraped the Skeptiko Forums too (CD and OT), and has handy HTML pages mirroring exactly what was scraped, so we don't need to generate HTML from my JSON data. We will eventually want those to be accessible from this homepage. If you can transform the homepage into something aesthetically pleasing, you would have our gratitude, Max.

I don't mind having a go at making the landing page look a little more inviting. Do I need access to the server?

I'm out for a while today but I could have a look later.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 2 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Ninshub, Max_B
(2017-08-20, 07:18 PM)Chris Wrote: Or perhaps just add a "Skeptiko Archive" link to the menu along the top of the page?
https://community.mybb.com/thread-120571.html

I like this idea. It avoids the need for web design.

(2017-08-20, 07:43 PM)Kamarling Wrote: I don't mind having a go at making the landing page look a little more inviting. Do I need access to the server?

I'm out for a while today but I could have a look later.

Let's give Chris's idea a go, and if we think the link isn't distinctive enough, then we can revert to having a home page which you could design.
Ok - I wasn't thinking that the two were related. I just thought that Max was pointing out that if anyone happens to go to the URL http://psiquest.net they will land on that blank page. So yes, an autoforward to the forum might be the best option.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson

• View a Printable Version