Peter Fenwick interview +others.

21 Replies, 3368 Views

(2017-10-02, 07:55 PM)Obiwan Wrote: I wasn’t being sarcastic deliberately - honest. I find it  useful to know what the video I am being asked to look at is about. Just a suggestion. Also why in particular the OP thinks it’s interesting. 

In ‘another place’, clips were often posted in great numbers with no explanation as to why in particular they were of interest (or even relevant to the thread they were in).

I've already watched it about 3 times. Sounds a bit worrying .....
(2017-10-02, 08:00 PM)tim Wrote: I've already watched it about 3 times. Sounds a bit worrying .....

Maybe you can tell me then?
(2017-10-02, 08:04 PM)Obiwan Wrote: Maybe you can tell me then?

Peter Fenwick is talking about the phenomena and research into the experience of dying (ELE's) and how we are all going to die whether we like it or not etc so we'd be well advised to get ready for it. There, you don't need to watch it now Smile
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-02, 08:10 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 4 users Like tim's post:
  • Typoz, Ninshub, Doug, Obiwan
(2017-10-02, 08:10 PM)tim Wrote: Peter Fenwick is talking about the phenomena and research into the experience of dying (ELE's) and how we are all going to die whether we like it or not etc so we'd be well advised to get ready for it. There, you don't need to watch it now Smile

LOL Thanks tim. I don't mean to seem difficult. I like Peter. What's an ELE by the way? 

It's just on Skeptiko and other forums, people sometimes post quite long videos with no description of what it's about or why it interested them, or even where on the video the relevant content is. I got a bit fed up of spending 30-40 minutes watching something hopefully that didn't seem to go anywhere (not that I think Stan would do that). Conversely, I have probably given up watching some after 30 minutes and at 35 minutes it became relevant. You get the idea.
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-02, 08:53 PM by Obiwan.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • nbtruthman, Typoz, Laird, tim
(2017-10-02, 08:51 PM)Obiwan Wrote: LOL Thanks tim. I don't mean to seem difficult. I like Peter. What's an ELE by the way? 

It's just on Skeptiko and other forums, people sometimes post quite long videos with no description of what it's about or why it interested them, or even where on the video the relevant content is. I got a bit fed up of spending 30-40 minutes watching something hopefully that didn't seem to go anywhere (not that I think Stan would do that). Conversely, I have probably given up watching some after 30 minutes and at 35 minutes it became relevant. You get the idea.

If Stan can't be bothered telling people why they should watch it, I can't be bothered investing my time.
(2017-10-02, 08:51 PM)Obiwan Wrote: LOL Thanks tim. I don't mean to seem difficult. I like Peter. What's an ELE by the way? 

I know you're not being difficult, Obiwan. We're having a joke, aren't we. ELE's=end of life experiences=DBV's death bed visions and more besides.

"I got a bit fed up of spending 30-40 minutes watching something hopefully that didn't seem to go anywhere (not that I think Stan would do that). Conversely, I have probably given up watching some after 30 minutes and at 35 minutes it became relevant. You get the idea"

I understand that entirely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Obiwan
(2017-10-02, 09:06 PM)jkmac Wrote: If Stan can't be bothered telling people why they should watch it, I can't be bothered investing my time.

Ok.  Thumbs Up
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stan Woolley's post:
  • tim
(2017-10-02, 09:06 PM)jkmac Wrote: If Stan can't be bothered telling people why they should watch it, I can't be bothered investing my time.

I think Stan would assume that you already knew what this might be about, jkmac based on your previous posts TBH ?  Maybe he will add some notation to explain it better but I think the thread has done that now anyway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • Obiwan
(2017-10-02, 09:25 PM)tim Wrote: I know you're not being difficult, Obiwan. We're having a joke, aren't we. ELE's=end of life experiences=DBV's death bed visions and more besides.

"I got a bit fed up of spending 30-40 minutes watching something hopefully that didn't seem to go anywhere (not that I think Stan would do that). Conversely, I have probably given up watching some after 30 minutes and at 35 minutes it became relevant. You get the idea"

I understand that entirely.
Absolutely. And thank you.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Obiwan's post:
  • tim
(2017-10-02, 09:29 PM)tim Wrote: I think Stan would assume that you already knew what this might be about, jkmac based on your previous posts TBH ?  Maybe he will add some notation to explain it better but I think the thread has do / ne that now anyway.

It's not what it would be about. That's 20 seconds on Wiki for people who aren't familiar. 

It's what does this video offer that is special. Of particular interest. 

Throwing a video link up with no explanation means I need to trust that Stan has found a gem that will be of interest or that I have a bit of time to potentially waste finding out. 

Personally I'd rather watch the Musk BFR video again. At least I definitely know I'm not wasting my time.

For those who haven't seen it: this is Elon's unveiling of the new transportation system that makes all of his current marvels (Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy and Dragon 1 and 2) obsolete. He is talking about first launches to Mars in 2022.

• View a Printable Version