Paranormal Noises

18 Replies, 3307 Views

Thought I'd share a story on here which might be of some interest to those interested in poltergeist phenomenon. Although I believe I may have experienced some other paranormal phenomenon over the years the following event was shared by other witnesses. The experience I had took place more than twenty years ago when I was a student at Edinburgh University. A group of friends, who were flat mates together, had reported a curious incident in their new flat. Two of my friends (Jo and Sarah) were alone and having a chat in the kitchen one night when they heard what sounded like a drinking glass breaking. Naturally they began to investigate the sound but were unable to discover it's source - no evidence of any physical broken glass was ever found. I believe it happened several times throughout the evening and subsequently on other occasions too. Several weeks later I was invited to their flat warming party and another friend and myself found ourselves alone in the front room. There was very little in the way of furniture in the room and so we sat on the floor with our backs propped up against the wall with our drinks, chatting. I decided that I would mention the strange phenomenon which I heard was supposed to happen in the flat - immediately following the comment we heard a glass break quite clearly and audibly in the room. My first reaction was to look down at our own glasses which were completely whole and intact. Visibly shaken my friend got up and walked out the room refusing to talk to me for the rest of the evening. I went to find my friend Sarah and told her that I had heard it too - her words were 'it's so weird isn't it?!'
[-] The following 10 users Like jonqc's post:
  • Brian, Doppelgänger, Bucky, iPsoFacTo, Red, Laird, Pssst, Max_B, Typoz, Ninshub
This post has been deleted.
(2017-09-03, 09:07 PM)Max_B Wrote: Hey, you finally got round to posting that experience, that's great. Didn't you find something out about the history of the property later?

Yes, the property had once been a guest house where a couple who were at the centre of an infamous local murder case had been staying ... always wondered if the sound of the glass breaking was a replay of something that had happened between them ...
[-] The following 1 user Likes jonqc's post:
  • Ninshub
There's a chap called Barry Colvin at the SPR who has done some research into paranormal sounds (I think mostly rapping - on tables etc, not the 'music').
(2017-09-03, 09:33 PM)Max_B Wrote: What was the infamous murder again?

The Salisbury Crags murder ...
Ah, this topic is right up my alley.

I grew up in a 2 story house that my paternal grandfather built. My family lived in the second floor apt and my grandparents in the first floor apt. Both apt's had the same layout.

My grandmother slept in the bedroom at the front of the house and my grandfather slept in a bedroom at the rear which was directly below me and my brothers' room.
He died there in, iirc, 1965. I was 10 at the time. For the 2 nights after he passed, I would awake from sleep sometime late at night, to the sounds of heavy furniture being violently dragged across a wooden floor. You know, that really loud screeching noise that happens.

My grandfathers room befit and old world peasant type.... small iron wrought bed and various pieces of old world style furniture along the walls.
The next mornings I'd ask my grandmother if she was possibly moving things around or if she heard anything but she said no.
The other thing that is typical of an 'aural' haunt event, is that while there were sounds of furniture being violently thrown about, nothing was moved...everything was in it's place. Weird!
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-07, 03:41 PM by iPsoFacTo.)
[-] The following 4 users Like iPsoFacTo's post:
  • Doppelgänger, Max_B, Bucky, Doug
(2017-09-03, 09:50 PM)Max_B Wrote: http://www.theedinburghreporter.co.uk/20...gs-murder/

That's the one... Amazingly he's actually replied at the bottom of that article!

That is a very strange statement, isn't it? The murderer is surprised that people are still talking about his deed 40 years on. Maybe to those of us who haven't committed murder it seems shocking. But the murderer knows that the action of murder was just one action among billions in a lifetime. I've been listening to true crime podcasts at a steady pace lately. And there is something unique in the mind of those who can take another life.
[-] The following 2 users Like chuck's post:
  • Dreamsoap, Max_B

• View a Printable Version