Latest from Dr Sam Parnia

230 Replies, 35500 Views

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnoIf2Nw...pp=desktop

(Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical death)  It seems to be a reassertion of his
previous statements.
[-] The following 13 users Like tim's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, diverdown, The King in the North, Raimo, DarthT15, Enrique Vargas, Vortex, laborde, Doug, Ninshub, Silence, soulatman, Typoz
I came across something similar on the Daily Mail site a few days ago (mentioning Parnia by name), but I couldn't work out whether there was any actual fresh content among the noise, or if it was simply a publicity piece for the movie Flatliners.
[-] The following 3 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Enrique Vargas, Stan Woolley, tim
(2017-10-20, 06:11 PM)tim Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnoIf2Nw...pp=desktop

(Researchers say there's evidence that consciousness continues after clinical death)  It seems to be a reassertion of his
previous statements.

It gives the impression of being an update, but maybe it's just a rehash. The study is described as covering 15 medical centers with a total now of over 2000 cardiac arrests, with 40% having some sort of awareness, 10% having mystical experiences, and 2% having full awareness of what is going on around them. All despite their brains being profoundly impaired in functioning, though not being significantly damaged (they had to later be able to coherently describe their experiences). Orthodox materialist mind-brain theory predicts no mental functioning under such conditions. Of course, the basic problem with the results of the study is that the veridical observation from above experimental design part of it just doesn't seem to be working much. However there are a lot of reasons this would be expected even within the interactive dualistic model of consciousness.
[-] The following 6 users Like nbtruthman's post:
  • Roberta, The King in the North, Typoz, DarthT15, Enrique Vargas, tim
(2017-10-20, 06:30 PM)Typoz Wrote: I came across something similar on the Daily Mail site a few days ago (mentioning Parnia by name), but I couldn't work out whether there was any actual fresh content among the noise, or if it was simply a publicity piece for the movie Flatliners.

Good point, Typoz. That news piece is up to date unless I'm mistaken, though. I read somewhere
that he plans to say something  about the current study in six months time but I can't seem to find it now.
[-] The following 3 users Like tim's post:
  • Ninshub, Enrique Vargas, Typoz
(2017-10-20, 07:55 PM)tim Wrote: Good point, Typoz. That news piece is up to date unless I'm mistaken, though. I read somewhere
that he plans to say something  about the current study in six months time but I can't seem to find it now.

The video was good to see, it does give a feel for where Sam Parnia and his team are at present, and where they are headed, as well as an opportunity to clarify a few things.

This is a link to the Daily Mail piece, it is new, dated 18 October 2017

When you die you know you're dead as the mind still works

That article links to this one, from October 4th,
Are 'Flatliners' Really Conscious After Death?
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-21, 04:27 AM by Typoz.)
[-] The following 5 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Ninshub, Doug, DarthT15, Enrique Vargas, tim
(2017-10-21, 04:22 AM)Typoz Wrote: The video was good to see, it does give a feel for where Sam Parnia and his team are at present, and where they are headed, as well as an opportunity to clarify a few things.

This is a link to the Daily Mail piece, it is new, dated 18 October 2017

When you die you know you're dead as the mind still works

That article links to this one, from October 4th,
Are 'Flatliners' Really Conscious After Death?

Thanks for the links, Typoz

On reflection, I think it's quite remarkable what he's saying. He's backing up his previous statement that consciousness can exist (albeit for a short period) without a brain which is heresy and anathema to a great many people. So by simple deduction he can't have found anything in the second study which contradicts the first.  It must be difficult for some sceptics to hear such a thing.
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-21, 12:12 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 11 users Like tim's post:
  • OmniVersalNexus, Roberta, The King in the North, Ninshub, Raimo, Doug, DarthT15, nbtruthman, Enrique Vargas, Stan Woolley, Typoz
Howdy folks.  Just thought I would share this link in case some of you haven't seen it.  Speculation, but this "announcement" could be interesting.

https://awareofaware.co/2017/10/18/early...-aware-ii/
[-] The following 4 users Like EthanT's post:
  • OmniVersalNexus, Kamarling, Doug, Ninshub
(2017-10-22, 09:36 PM)EthanT Wrote: Howdy folks.  Just thought I would share this link in case some of you haven't seen it.  Speculation, but this "announcement" could be interesting.

https://awareofaware.co/2017/10/18/early...-aware-ii/

Nice to see you here, Ethan !
[-] The following 1 user Likes tim's post:
  • EthanT
Good to see you made it here, Ethan.  Thumbs Up
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kamarling's post:
  • EthanT
(2017-10-22, 09:53 PM)tim Wrote: Nice to see you here, Ethan !

(2017-10-22, 10:29 PM)Kamarling Wrote: Good to see you made it here, Ethan.  Thumbs Up

Thanks, good to see you guys too!  I had forgot that this new forum was started up and was happy to re-discover it Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like EthanT's post:
  • Ninshub, tim

• View a Printable Version