Is Evil One of God's Tools?

48 Replies, 7266 Views

I notice that there seems to be a seething anger about the nasty things that happen in the Universe, among a significant number of people, which God often bears the brunt of. 

Is this justified?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stan Woolley's post:
  • Ninshub
This post has been deleted.
Some say... (not a fan of top gear)

...it's the nasty things that happen in the universe. Like getting your head chopped off or children starving in Yemen etc.
What I'm getting at, is that I saw a lot of posts that seemed to blame God for the nasty things that are mostly man's doing. Or questioning the existence of a loving God while such things existed. I don't have any such doubts while of course acknowledging 'evil' appears to exist. 

To me the doubt arises in what form this 'God' takes. I am a believer in something, I've just no idea what it is.  Sleepy
@stan aren't the things you mention the result of decisions by humans? What's it got to do with a God?
[-] The following 2 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Ninshub, Doug
Ok then. What about tsunamis or volcano's etc?
Despite all the nasty things that happen, isn't the almost infinite capacity people have to love amazing? And also the many different ways and things we can love. We can love romantically. We can love our parents, children, siblings, other relatives and people. We can love animals, pets, and wild animals and nature. Etc. Maybe we are here not just to learn to love but to savor the different nuances of different kinds of love? Does that exist in the non physical realm? Maybe it is best learned in the physical?
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
[-] The following 6 users Like Jim_Smith's post:
  • Steve from ABQ, Sciborg_S_Patel, Brian, Ninshub, Stan Woolley, diverdown
(2017-08-27, 05:22 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: Ok then. What about tsunamis or volcano's etc?

Volcanos are in large part responsible for the creation of the physical world as we know it. Is that a bad thing?

More to the point: I find it nearly impossible to define something that is "evil". These things are too culturally biased. Is killing another person always bad? is killing a cow bad? Is cutting down a tree bad? All these things involve the ending of a life of some kind. Why is one bad and another good? 

Alex came to the conclusion that somethings are objectively bad,,, such as child abuse. I find this view ethnocentric BS. I don't believe there is anything that is 100% undeniably evil from all perspectives. These things are way too complex to make such absolute pronouncements.

Perhaps lessons were learned from some "evil" event by various people, or entities, or consciousness in general, that advanced the species in some "butterfly effect" way. Who's to say? 

I avoid labeling things in such ways because I know I have but a infinitesimal view of the entirety of creation. 

And in any case, it has yet to be demonstrated to me that "God" ever intervenes in this universe that he supposedly created, nor do I understand why he would,, this of course presupposing that "he" exists, and that "he" could.
[-] The following 4 users Like jkmac's post:
  • Steve from ABQ, Obiwan, Ninshub, Stan Woolley
As I see it, this question is a subjectively religious issue.
There cannot be any objective description of god. Each man has his own ideas of what it is. And as it is his own, he does with it as he likes.
Their preference tend to be that their god's attributes are positive, rather than what is considered by them to be negative and bad.

They are skeptics in as much that they reject the things they don't like.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Slorri's post:
  • Oleo
This post has been deleted.

• View a Printable Version