How to join the hidden politics, conspiracy theory & controversial science subforums

10 Replies, 7365 Views

Here on Psience Quest, the community voted to allow political and conspiracy theory discussions only in subforums which are hidden by default but which can be made visible by joining a particular user group. Later, we added a third hidden subforum - see the update at the bottom of this post.

To do this:
  1. (Whilst logged in) Click on your avatar icon top-right of page and then click "Settings" in the dropdown menu (if using the default Roundo theme), or click "User CP" near the top of the page (if using the MyBB Default theme).
  2. Click on "Group Memberships" in the left sidebar under the heading "Miscellaneous".
  3. Click on "Join Group" beside the user group labelled "Political/CT Forum Members".
Now you should see the "Conspiracy Theory Discussions" and "Political Discussions" forums as subforums of "Other Topics". Posts from those forums should now also appear in your "View Unread Posts" listing.

To leave the user group, simply repeat steps one and two above, and at step three click "Leave Group".

Update: membership of this group now grants you access to a third subforum on top of the politics and conspiracy theory subforums, also under the "Other Topics" forum. The new subforum is titled "Non-Psi-Related Scientific Controversies". For guidance as to when and when not to post threads to this forum, please consult the thread, How to navigate creating threads about science and scientific controversies on PQ
(This post was last modified: 2023-12-03, 10:36 PM by Laird. Edited 2 times in total.)
[-] The following 5 users Like Laird's post:
  • Larry, Hurmanetar, Ninshub, Doppelgänger, Doug
(2017-09-11, 04:33 AM)Laird Wrote: Here on Psience Quest, the community voted to allow political and conspiracy theory discussions only in forums which are hidden by default but which can be made visible by joining a particular user group.

To do this:
  1. Click on "User CP" near the top of the page.
  2. Click on "Group Memberships" in the left sidebar under the heading "Miscellaneous".
  3. Click on "Join Group" beside the user group labelled "Political/CT Forum Members".
Now you should see the "Conspiracy Theory Discussions" and "Political Discussions" forums as sub-forums of "Other Stuff". Posts from those forums should now also appear in your "View Unread Posts" listing.

To leave the user group, simply repeat steps one and two above, and at step three click "Leave Group".

I love the idea of a hidden forum for the discussion of conspiracy theories.
[-] The following 5 users Like Guest's post:
  • Hurmanetar, Ninshub, Silence, malf, Laird
(2017-09-11, 04:33 AM)Laird Wrote: Here on Psience Quest, the community voted to allow political and conspiracy theory discussions only in forums which are hidden by default but which can be made visible by joining a particular user group.

To do this:
  1. Click on "User CP" near the top of the page.
Now you should see the "Conspiracy Theory Discussions" and "Political Discussions" forums as sub-forums of "Other Stuff". Posts from those forums should now also appear in your "View Unread Posts" listing.

Are these instructions working now?
(2017-09-11, 07:35 AM)Doppelgänger Wrote: Are these instructions working now?

As far as I know: yes. Have tested with a non-admin test account.
(2017-09-11, 07:37 AM)Laird Wrote: As far as I know: yes. Have tested with a non-admin test account.

Do I have to leave the current group I'm in to find it? It still says it's conspiracy, but as you know that led me to a closed group.
(2017-09-11, 07:43 AM)Doppelgänger Wrote: Do I have to leave the current group I'm in to find it? It still says it's conspiracy, but as you know that led me to a closed group.

No, you don't have to leave anything. Here's what you should see once you join the user group:

(2017-09-11, 07:51 AM)Laird Wrote: No, you don't have to leave anything. Here's what you should see once you join the user group:

Sorry, I did test it and it is working.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doppelgänger's post:
  • Laird
Can the rules post for the main forum be updated with information on politics ct group as well as any special rules that apply to the sub forum?
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jim_Smith's post:
  • Ninshub
(2017-09-17, 01:49 AM)Jim_Smith Wrote: Can the rules post for the main forum be updated with information on politics ct group as well as any special rules that apply to the sub forum?

Sure. But FYI there are no special rules applying to those sub-forums.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Jim_Smith, Laird
(2017-09-17, 01:49 AM)Jim_Smith Wrote: Can the rules post for the main forum be updated with information on politics ct group as well as any special rules that apply to the sub forum?

I've just appended to that post, Jim - please let me know if you think anything needs changing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Jim_Smith

• View a Printable Version