Hello from Stan Woolley

11 Replies, 3429 Views

Hi to all, I was Steve in the Skeptiko, but I prefer the anonymity of Stan, plus the character of Stan Woolley is more to my egos liking, he's a character in a book that I once read, called Goshawk Squadron, given to me by a treasured friend. 

I hope that this forum brings much joy/education to all of us
[-] The following 11 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Vortex, Brian, tim, Ninshub, Reece, Hurmanetar, Kamarling, Pollux, Doug, Sciborg_S_Patel, Typoz
Welcome Stan!

Incidentally I never explained the significance of my username. I used a program to generate random characters and this was the first that turned up that was both pronounceable and not too offensive Wink
[-] The following 7 users Like Typoz's post:
  • tim, Ninshub, Hurmanetar, Pollux, Doug, Sciborg_S_Patel, Stan Woolley
(2017-08-14, 03:46 PM)Typoz Wrote: Welcome Stan!

Incidentally I never explained the significance of my username. I used a program to generate random characters and this was the first that turned up that was both pronounceable and not too offensive Wink

I thought`typos´ was the phrase for a print-error/misspelling??
I think you sell yourself short as a `type-error´ m8. Wink j/k

The "deep meaning" for my silly pseudonym was that when I was in the exact moment of creating an account on the Skeptiko Forum back in 2007 I was at the same time watching a Natural Geographic astronomy documentary on TV about the stars Pollux & Castor. Pollux they said (and the spectrum of this star),`serves as one of the stable anchor points by which other stars are classified´. So it stood between Pollux or Castor - but since I'm a "star" and an "anchor", and that Pollux was the son of Zeus, the choice was easy... [Image: whistling.gif] Wink *humble me*

Its a silly-ass name, but I'm stuck with it...

PS: I hate to think what my pseudonym might have been if I had been watching a documentary about latrine-duty in the military at the time of creating the account....
[-] The following 7 users Like Pollux's post:
  • tim, hypermagda, Laird, Ninshub, Hurmanetar, Doug, Typoz
Totally get the anonymity thing, Steve - er, I mean Stan. Just like I cloak my real surname under the anonymity of its old Frankish/Germanic origin. Wink
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 4 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Brian, Stan Woolley, Ninshub, Hurmanetar

I thought you said at one point that you did some form of editing and that this was a play on that . . . no?
(2017-08-15, 04:02 AM)Reece Wrote:

I thought you said at one point that you did some form of editing and that this was a play on that . . . no?

Not quite. Though I think since I joined the forum, both myself and others may have occasionally used my username for some gentle humour. But that is with hindsight, after the name had already been chosen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Reece
(2017-08-15, 08:08 AM)Typoz Wrote:
(2017-08-15, 04:02 AM)Reece Wrote:

Not quite. Though I think since I joined the forum, both myself and others may have occasionally used my username for some gentle humour. But that is with hindsight, after the name had already been chosen.

For ages I assumed that you might be a typical Australian.  Wink
[-] The following 2 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Laird, Typoz
This post has been deleted.
This post has been deleted.
(2017-08-16, 11:43 AM)Brian Wrote:
(2017-08-14, 03:39 PM)Stan Woolley Wrote: Hi to all, I was Steve in the Skeptiko, but I prefer the anonymity of Stan, plus the character of Stan Woolley is more to my egos liking, he's a character in a book that I once read, called Goshawk Squadron, given to me by a treasured friend. 

I hope that this forum brings much joy/education to all of us

It's especially good to see you here Stan although my brain is having trouble uniting the sound of the new name with the character I knew as Steve. Confused

Hiya Brian That's kind of you to say.

Yes, I know what you mean. I considered that, but....

I think it's healthy to throw everyone's brain a curved ball every now and then, it is a new start to a new phase.  Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stan Woolley's post:
  • Brian

• View a Printable Version