Hello from lurker from Skeptiko!

8 Replies, 2284 Views

Hello all,

I was disappointed to see the Skeptiko forums cut back as it were, even as a lurker, so it has made me move my lazy ass to create an account here!

The amount of information, along with the excellent atmosphere of posting to be had, was in my experience, really quite rare for the internet nowadays. It was refreshing as hell to view the various conversations around the big questions without any serious polarisation and ideological identification.  I understand that the owner of the forum has the final say of course, but I believe that Alex is not aware of the value that his forum brings to people like myself and others in that regard. When I think of how to actually have a discussion around these subjects, the model that the Skeptiko forums and it's members provided is the one that comes out on top.

Anyway, I hope to contribute a little bit here and to see the familiar faces eventually!

Over and out!
[-] The following 14 users Like diverdown's post:
  • Mediochre, Steve001, malf, Doppelgänger, Brian, hypermagda, Laird, Hurmanetar, Sciborg_S_Patel, Stan Woolley, Ninshub, Kamarling, Typoz, Doug
Terrific to see you here, diverdown. Hopefully lurkers there and elsewhere join up, it's great so see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • diverdown
(2017-08-14, 07:31 AM)diverdown Wrote: Hello all,

I was disappointed to see the Skeptiko forums cut back as it were, even as a lurker, so it has made me move my lazy ass to create an account here!

The amount of information, along with the excellent atmosphere of posting to be had, was in my experience, really quite rare for the internet nowadays. It was refreshing as hell to view the various conversations around the big questions without any serious polarisation and ideological identification.  I understand that the owner of the forum has the final say of course, but I believe that Alex is not aware of the value that his forum brings to people like myself and others in that regard. When I think of how to actually have a discussion around these subjects, the model that the Skeptiko forums and it's members provided is the one that comes out on top.

Anyway, I hope to contribute a little bit here and to see the familiar faces eventually!

To be fair, I moved a long list of threads from the two closed forums into other places on the forum. I used lists of threads provided by people here. If you are interested in any topics in particular, the best way to access them is probably via the Skeptiko index.

Most of us still post on both forums.

David
(2017-11-07, 06:08 PM)DaveB Wrote: Most of us still post on both forums.

Not.
[-] The following 4 users Like chuck's post:
  • fls, Doppelgänger, Ninshub, Oleo
Welcome, diverdown!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Doppelgänger's post:
  • diverdown
(2017-11-07, 09:50 PM)chuck Wrote: Not.

You are the exception that proves the rule!

David
(2017-11-09, 08:35 PM)DaveB Wrote: You are the exception that proves the rule!

David

Some of us were banned, as was I, for daring to criticise Alex. That was followed by a reminder that I could beg for reinstatement. No thanks.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
(2017-11-09, 08:35 PM)DaveB Wrote: You are the exception that proves the rule!

David

Actually, your statement simply isn't true. The majority of PQ members no longer post on Skeptiko. There are some that do and I think that is great. But to say that most do, is false.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chuck's post:
  • fls
This post has been deleted.

• View a Printable Version