Hello all

8 Replies, 2042 Views

Well, it took some time, but I'm here now. Smile

I've been lurking for a while to see how things are developing and overall it looks good.
[-] The following 7 users Like Michael Larkin's post:
  • Dreamsoap, Doppelgänger, Larry, Laird, Ninshub, Doug, laborde
Hi Michael. I'm glad you will be adding your voice here!
(2017-09-28, 04:00 PM)Michael Larkin Wrote: Well, it took some time, but I'm here now. Smile

I've been lurking for a while to see how things are developing and overall it looks good.

Michael, you are welcome but didn't you say over on Skeptiko that you wished everyone who didn't like it (David's set up that is) would bugger off somewhere else so you could get on with some serious discussion ? I take it that is no longer your point of view then.
(2017-09-28, 04:54 PM)tim Wrote: Michael, you are welcome but didn't you say over on Skeptiko that you wished everyone who didn't like it (David's set up that is) would bugger off somewhere else so you could get on with some serious discussion ? I take it that is no longer your point of view then.

My message on Skeptiko, posted on Jul 20 '17, said:

Fer cryin' out loud. Someone's got to moderate if we don't want a free for all. Complainers can always bugger off and find some other forum instead of moaning here. I think David's doing a good job -- he's not perfect, but then who the heck is? It's not a job I'd want, and like Alex says, we don't see a lot of the efforts he puts in. Give the man a break and grow up!

Note I didn't say that I wished they'd bugger off, only that instead of complaining, they could bugger off if they wanted to. IIRC, this was posted before Alex decided to delete forums and certainly before he said this at the end of his latest interview with Henry Bauer:

We have some new people who are joining the forum. We've kind of changed who we let in there -- I wasn't liking the kind of vibe, I mean forums these days on the net can get just kind of funky. I just want people who are interested in the show and interested in talking about real topics -- sharing information, sharing links, sharing ideas related to the show. So we've kind of channelled it over in that direction. If that sounds like it's interesting to you, please check out the skeptiko forum which you can find through the web site.

IOW, subsequent to a time when I thought things would carry on as usual, Alex has thrown a wobbler and changed things -- and his attitude. Since then, I can't say I have loved the way that things are going on Skeptiko. I haven't had much to say about his podcasts, not having found them terribly interesting. Hopefully, in time, that will change. Hope springs eternal, as they say.

What made Skeptiko great was the fact that I never felt I was posting anything inappropriate. Now I find myself wondering whether my next post won't be something that Alex won't approve of. It's like treading on egg shells and I find my enthusiasm has waned.

Listen, Tim, despite your "welcome", I can't help wondering whether you actually welcome me here, or are more interested in scoring snide points. Skeptiko is one thing, and Psience Quest is another. As far as I'm concerned, and hopefully others, this is a new and separate venue where I and everyone else can start off with a clean sheet.
[-] The following 2 users Like Michael Larkin's post:
  • malf, Larry
(2017-09-28, 06:22 PM)Michael Larkin Wrote: My message on Skeptiko, posted on Jul 20 '17, said:

Fer cryin' out loud. Someone's got to moderate if we don't want a free for all. Complainers can always bugger off and find some other forum instead of moaning here. I think David's doing a good job -- he's not perfect, but then who the heck is? It's not a job I'd want, and like Alex says, we don't see a lot of the efforts he puts in. Give the man a break and grow up!

Note I didn't say that I wished they'd bugger off, only that instead of complaining, they could bugger off if they wanted to. IIRC, this was posted before Alex decided to delete forums and certainly before he said this at the end of his latest interview with Henry Bauer:

We have some new people who are joining the forum. We've kind of changed who we let in there -- I wasn't liking the kind of vibe, I mean forums these days on the net can get just kind of funky. I just want people who are interested in the show and interested in talking about real topics -- sharing information, sharing links, sharing ideas related to the show. So we've kind of channelled it over in that direction. If that sounds like it's interesting to you, please check out the skeptiko forum which you can find through the web site.

IOW, subsequent to a time when I thought things would carry on as usual, Alex has thrown a wobbler and changed things -- and his attitude. Since then, I can't say I have loved the way that things are going on Skeptiko. I haven't had much to say about his podcasts, not having found them terribly interesting. Hopefully, in time, that will change. Hope springs eternal, as they say.

What made Skeptiko great was the fact that I never felt I was posting anything inappropriate. Now I find myself wondering whether my next post won't be something that Alex won't approve of. It's like treading on egg shells and I find my enthusiasm has waned.

Listen, Tim, despite your "welcome", I can't help wondering whether you actually welcome me here, or are more interested in scoring snide points. Skeptiko is one thing, and Psience Quest is another. As far as I'm concerned, and hopefully others, this is a new and separate venue where I and everyone else can start off with a clean sheet.

David's post stated >Fer cryin' out loud. Someone's got to moderate if we don't want a free for all. Complainers can always bugger off and find some other forum instead of moaning here. I think David's doing a good job -- he's not perfect, but then who the heck is?

Did you think that was an appropriate post to make back then, Michael  considering the strength of feeling at the time and the way Skeptiko was being run and moderated ? Personally I took it as an insult although you probably didn't mean it as one. I've noted in the past you have a tendency to come right out with it and I guess that's what you did there.

I thought you might have been a bit less supportive of the regime (at Skeptiko) after you'd learned that many of us were hacked off with it and yes David's terrible moderation techique. I noted he avoided leaning on you though ! I guess I sort of saw you as a sympathiser to be honest !  

"Listen, Tim, despite your "welcome", I can't help wondering whether you actually welcome me here, or are more interested in scoring snide points."

Telling me to listen, Michael is one of your unfortunate tendencies. We all have them, I've got mine but kindly don't patronise me. I'm not after scoring points either, I wanted to point out to you clearly that I wasn't happy with your behaviour (sometimes) on Skeptiko.  Snide doesn't come into it.

If you don't accept my (welcome) wishes then that says more about you than it does about me but having said what I wanted to say, I still say welcome.
Hi Michael

Welcome aboard. 

I disagree with you about things and I don't think we'd be great buddies but I am happy to see you here.  Wink

Steve
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stan Woolley's post:
  • tim
Hi Michael,

Welcome - and it's good to see you travelled across the pond to get to us, or whatever it was that you needed to cross. Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Oleo
(2017-09-28, 04:00 PM)Michael Larkin Wrote: Well, it took some time, but I'm here now. Smile

1) The folks that created this atrocity site should be applauded.

2) Baby avatars are pedophiliac. Forum rule. Sorry.
(2017-09-30, 03:55 AM)Pssst Wrote: 1) The folks that created this atrocity site should be applauded.

2) Baby avatars are pedophiliac. Forum rule. Sorry.

Aaaahhh. Like sitting back into a comfortable old chair.

• View a Printable Version