Harvard scientists think they might have pinpointed the source of human consciousness

12 Replies, 2571 Views

Havad U. no less.

Quote:
  • A study of 36 patients with brainstem lesions revealed that the majority of those in comas had damage in a specific area of the brainstem, while most conscious patients did not.
  • The identification of the areas of the brain responsible for consciousness could lead to new treatment options for patients in comas or vegetative states. 
Human consciousness has been defined as awareness, sentience, a person’s ability to experience and feel, but despite the important role it plays in our lives and making us who we are, we actually know very little about how consciousness works.
Scientists currently believe that consciousness is composed of two components: arousal and awareness. The first is regulated by the brainstem, but the physical origins of the latter were always a mystery. Now, a team of researchers at Harvard think they may have discovered the regions of the brain that work with the brainstem to maintain consciousness.
“For the first time, we have found a connection between the brainstem region involved in arousal and regions involved in awareness, two prerequisites for consciousness,” said Michael D. Fox, MD, PhD, Director of the Laboratory for Brain Network Imaging and Modulation and the Associate Director of the Berenson-Allen Center for Noninvasive Brain Stimulation at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC). “A lot of pieces of evidence all came together to point to this network playing a role in human consciousness.”

More > http://www.businessinsider.com/this-is-t...ss-2017-11
Oy vey, steve.
[-] The following 3 users Like Dante's post:
  • tim, Obiwan, The King in the North
Is it that time of year again?
Harvard May Have Pinpointed the Source of Human Consciousness
I look forward to next year's thrilling instalment.
[-] The following 5 users Like Typoz's post:
  • OmniVersalNexus, laborde, tim, Obiwan, The King in the North
Seems like it's already a bit older. Was there already some sort of discussion about this somewhere before?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DasMurmeltier's post:
  • Typoz
(2017-11-17, 04:19 AM)Typoz Wrote: Is it that time of year again?
Harvard May Have Pinpointed the Source of Human Consciousness
I look forward to next year's thrilling instalment.

Now that made me Lol.
[-] The following 2 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • tim, Typoz
(2017-11-17, 11:09 AM)DasMurmeltier Wrote: Seems like it's already a bit older. Was there already some sort of discussion about this somewhere before?

I discover later there was a brief one at skeptiko.
(2017-11-17, 11:09 AM)DasMurmeltier Wrote: Seems like it's already a bit older. Was there already some sort of discussion about this somewhere before?

I didn't look very far, found a discussion from 2016 on Skeptiko. There may be earlier ones, I'm not sure. Also there's a particular image (the colourful one) which seems to crop up here and there with no definite point of origin.
[-] The following 2 users Like Typoz's post:
  • tim, DasMurmeltier
(2017-11-17, 02:12 PM)Typoz Wrote: I didn't look very far, found a discussion from 2016 on Skeptiko. There may be earlier ones, I'm not sure. Also there's a particular image (the colourful one) which seems to crop up here and there with no definite point of origin.

I found one from early 2017 on Skeptiko, for those here that might want to read up on this:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/ha...ost-104930

Not really any conclusion here, just a few thoughts in a discussion. I imagine that this study wasnt really the breakthrough that the headline was promoting.
[-] The following 3 users Like DasMurmeltier's post:
  • tim, nbtruthman, Typoz
"Harvard scientists think they may have pinpointed the source of deja vu."
[-] The following 4 users Like Guest's post:
  • laborde, DarthT15, DasMurmeltier, Typoz
(2017-11-17, 04:00 PM)Chris Wrote: "Harvard scientists think they may have pinpointed the source of deja vu."

Didn’t you post that earlier? Wink
[-] The following 1 user Likes Obiwan's post:
  • Oleo

• View a Printable Version