Flatliners

21 Replies, 3865 Views

This (rather cartoonish) film is being released in a couple of weeks. I believe, but am not sure, that it is the remake of a 1990s Kevin Bacon thriller. Anyways, beyond all the BS that comes with any Hollywood cash grab, do you see this rising some awareness about NDEs in general? Or are they just slinging more mud over the paranormal topics (like the litany of jumpscare-fueled ghost movies that appear every October)? I think it would be depressing for people to come out of it thinking that NDEs end with people being plagued by spirits/demons/whatever.
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
[-] The following 2 users Like E. Flowers's post:
  • Roberta, Ninshub
It's supposed to be a sequel to the original. I'm guessing NDEs have become popular enough (again?) that it helped motivate this sequel - unless it's just another way of squeezing out bucks out of the horror genre -, but I'm not expecting much beyond what you're describing as the current state of the Hollywood take on the paranormal. If people come out of it thinking that NDEs are really like this, though, then the fault's on them for looking to movies for information, IMO. Shouldn't individuals be responsible for their own ignorance (to some degree)?
[-] The following 5 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • tim, Brian, E. Flowers, Obiwan, Doug
(2017-09-19, 04:22 AM)Ninshub Wrote: IMO. Shouldn't individuals be responsible for their own ignorance (to some degree)?

In an ideal world, yes. But in this one, the media has far too much influence on the individual... And individuals are raised, almost trained, to be passive and receptive. The attention span of people is also severely compromised in this day and age and the vast majority of people don't follow things after their initial interest. I hope that some stumble upon the actual research, but I expect this to be more of a hindrance, TBH.
"Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before..."
[-] The following 1 user Likes E. Flowers's post:
  • Brian
(2017-09-19, 01:08 AM)E. Flowers Wrote:

This (rather cartoonish) film is being released in a couple of weeks. I believe, but am not sure, that it is the remake of a 1990s Kevin Bacon thriller. Anyways, beyond all the BS that comes with any Hollywood cash grab, do you see this rising some awareness about NDEs in general? Or are they just slinging more mud over the paranormal topics (like the litany of jumpscare-fueled ghost movies that appear every October)? I think it would be depressing for people to come out of it thinking that NDEs end with people being plagued by spirits/demons/whatever.

Anyone who views this movie as a source of NDE info is not thinking straight. Although, yes, that is what will happen.

OTOH- maybe it will bring some discussion to the topic (as Inception did for Lucid Dreaming), and that's a good thing in my mind.

I'm going to check it out. Looks like it might be a fun "trip". Certainly as good as most of the crap coming out of Hollywood these days. And I say that with some care,, considering that my daughter-in-law is a Jr Producer in Hollywood...  Surprise

Interestingly: she agrees with my assessment about the quality of most of the films these days. Remember however- they make movies that fit people's taste... 

It's a viscous cycle of course because they also help to FORM people's taste...  Confused
[-] The following 1 user Likes jkmac's post:
  • E. Flowers
"It's a viscous cycle" - a pushbike lubricated with treacle?
[-] The following 3 users Like Typoz's post:
  • malf, E. Flowers, Obiwan
(2017-09-19, 11:42 AM)Typoz Wrote: "It's a viscous cycle" - a pushbike lubricated with treacle?
Had to look up "treacle".. Not a word used in US much that I know of, so assume you are not American. Which is good for you, because then you don't have to constantly make apologies to your non-American friends for; "he who must not be named".   Wink 

For those American's out there, I'll save you the time. It's molasses or similar sticky stuff.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-19, 11:56 AM by jkmac.)
[-] The following 2 users Like jkmac's post:
  • Typoz, Obiwan
(2017-09-19, 11:52 AM)jkmac Wrote: Had to look up "treacle".. Not a word used in US much that I know of, so assume you are not American. Which is good for you, because then you don't have to constantly make apologies to your non-American friends for; "he who must not be named".   Wink 

For those American's out there, I'll save you the time. It's molasses or similar sticky stuff.

Yeah - I was going to add the word 'molasses' in there too. But then I thought, I'm constantly having to look up stuff on American usage - even though I lived there for a while. And even though I read the explanations I still don't get the "hotdog" expression in "It's a Wonderful Life".

Captain Robert Snow bafflingly used the same expression "hotdog" when describing his investigations to try to disprove his past-life regression.

The mysteries of exotic foreign cultures. Sorry about the digression. Weren't we talking about a movie or something? Wink
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-19, 12:36 PM by Typoz.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Doug, jkmac
(2017-09-19, 12:34 PM)Typoz Wrote: Yeah - I was going to add the word 'molasses' in there too. But then I thought, I'm constantly having to look up stuff on American usage - even though I lived there for a while. And even though I read the explanations I still don't get the "hotdog" expression in "It's a Wonderful Life".

Captain Robert Snow bafflingly used the same expression "hotdog" when describing his investigations to try to disprove his past-life regression.

The mysteries of exotic foreign cultures. Sorry about the digression. Weren't we talking about a movie or something? Wink
It's a wonderful life is one of my favs. Don't recall the hotdog line. Can you remind me?
[-] The following 1 user Likes jkmac's post:
  • Typoz
"I wish I had a million dollars.... Hot dog!"

:-D
[-] The following 1 user Likes E. Flowers's post:
  • Typoz
(2017-09-19, 12:43 PM)jkmac Wrote: It's a wonderful life is one of my favs. Don't recall the hotdog line. Can you remind me?

[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Doug

• View a Printable Version