Eclipse

5 Replies, 1874 Views

The photo is an image of today's eclipse, at its maximum where I live, projected by means of a pin hole.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-22, 12:40 AM by Jim_Smith. Edit Reason: unicorns and glitter )
[-] The following 3 users Like Jim_Smith's post:
  • Ninshub, E. Flowers, Typoz

I thought this was cool.
[-] The following 3 users Like malf's post:
  • Jim_Smith, Laird, Ninshub
This was my first total eclipse. It was amazing (I cried). Totally worth the 8 hours spent in stop and go traffic afterwards.

Linda
[-] The following 4 users Like fls's post:
  • Laird, Ninshub, malf, Typoz
I didn't even know there was one happening until afterwards. I was in my office and just wondering, "Why is it so dark outside?"
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ninshub's post:
  • Jim_Smith
(2017-08-23, 04:01 AM)Ninshub Wrote: I didn't even know there was one happening until afterwards. I was in my office and just wondering, "Why is it so dark outside?"

I was not planning to observe it but I noticed some sunshine on my windowsill and I had read an article on how to observe it using a pinhole to project an image of the sun. It took very little effort to make a pin hole in a piece of cardboard, remove the screen from the window, and set up a brace for the cardboard. There were clouds intermittently blocking the sun and was just good luck that the sun was visible at the eclipse maximum in my area.

In the past I've observed sunspots using reversed binoculars to project an image of the sun which is also very easy to do.
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
(This post was last modified: 2017-08-23, 08:26 AM by Jim_Smith. Edit Reason: butterflies and daisies )
[-] The following 2 users Like Jim_Smith's post:
  • Ninshub, Typoz
(2017-08-23, 04:01 AM)Ninshub Wrote: I didn't even know there was one happening until afterwards. I was in my office and just wondering, "Why is it so dark outside?"
When there was a (different) total eclipse in my part of the world, I had it planned in my diary for thirty years ahead of time.

As the date grew nearer I started to plan how I would take time off work and travel a few hundred miles to be in the path of totality. Oddly enough, during that year, I had a work assignment which placed our office location right in the middle of the totality. Not only that but the eclipse was scheduled to take place during the lunch break, so I didn't even have to take time off work.

One thing couldn't be accounted for though - the weather. There was fairly heavy cloud on that day. And yet even so it was an amazing experience, cloud or no cloud, to be there as it happened.
[-] The following 4 users Like Typoz's post:
  • Ninshub, Jim_Smith, Laird, Doug

• View a Printable Version