Eben Alexander - What Do You Think?

14 Replies, 2714 Views

(2017-09-09, 10:32 PM)jkmac Wrote: I think this is a hugely important point: that the totality of the evidence, and its general consistency, is much more important to me than the details of one particular NDE account. 

And in the case of Dr Alexander, the fact that he is coming from a science perspective, with particular expertise in the brain, that makes his account so important. He knows all the counter arguments, and was able to compare his account with all those counterpoints and draw a conclusion.

Again- one account is really nothing, as compared to the totality of evidence, but this particular account is particularly compelling.

When I talk about "totality of evidence", I especially refer to the wide span of differing TYPES of phenomenon, which seem to confirm each other in various ways, as to the existence of a non-physical aspect of reality. The list is long so I wont bother try and create one.

If you have a look at this performance from Sue Blackmore, it will give you an idea what "heretics" like Alexander have to face.

She's saying things that aren't true here. She also states it's not good to spread 'tickle tackle' but does it anyway, making fanciful suggestions about Alex Malarkey the young paraplegic who for some reason retracted his NDE story.   

The crux of the matter seems to be in her view, books by people who have had NDE's are always justifiably suspect and clearly motivated by material gain, whilst books by her and other NDE critics (which also make lots of money) are motivated only by the noble principle of standing up for science and exposing fraud etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3aSTY7Wlc

She did "promise" that she wouldn't get involved in the NDE debate again but her new book seems to indicate otherwise.
I wonder if she will donate her royalties to a good cause, maybe the James Randi foundation Wink
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-10, 04:25 PM by tim.)
[-] The following 5 users Like tim's post:
  • Roberta, Doug, Sciborg_S_Patel, jkmac, Typoz
(2017-09-10, 12:00 PM)Brian Wrote: Good post, but wow, you are on a mission aren't you!   Smile

What mission would that be? the one where I attempt offset the skeptical drivel that doesn't take into account the factual accounts that are out there?  Cool

Guilty as charged.

Need I remind you that this whole website is based on the premise of psi? It shouldn't be a surprise that people like me are here.
(2017-09-10, 04:22 PM)tim Wrote: If you have a look at this performance from Sue Blackmore, it will give you an idea what "heretics" like Alexander have to face.

She's saying things that aren't true here. She also states it's not good to spread 'tickle tackle' but does it anyway, making fanciful suggestions about Alex Malarkey the young paraplegic who for some reason retracted his NDE story.   

The crux of the matter seems to be in her view, books by people who have had NDE's are always justifiably suspect and clearly motivated by material gain, whilst books by her and other NDE critics (which also make lots of money) are motivated only by the noble principle of standing up for science and exposing fraud etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls3aSTY7Wlc

She did "promise" that she wouldn't get involved in the NDE debate again but her new book seems to indicate otherwise.
I wonder if she will donate her royalties to a good cause, maybe the James Randi foundation Wink
How she argues that a successful brain surgeon wrote that book so he could get rich is beyond me.  What a simpleton.

Then you have Robert Monroe, a multimillionaire, who apparently she thinks had his out of body experiences so he could get richer....
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-10, 04:34 PM by jkmac.)
[-] The following 3 users Like jkmac's post:
  • Roberta, tim, Sciborg_S_Patel
I'd say he's an interest data point and he gave NDEs a marketing boost.

However I really hope the proponent community goes past him in its presentation to the public, his case is rather sketchy IMO.
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 2 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Kamarling, Obiwan
(2017-09-10, 04:22 PM)tim Wrote: If you have a look at this performance from Sue Blackmore, it will give you an idea what "heretics" like Alexander have to face.

Unsurprising given her work against Psi is itself questionable:

http://www.skeptiko-forum.com/threads/st...post-32323
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

[-] The following 3 users Like Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • tim, Doug, Obiwan

• View a Printable Version