Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

3 Replies, 599 Views

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Curious if anyone else has read this book?

I've had it in my library for quite some time but after a brief examination didn't touch it. Opening it again I find it might, through its instruction on setting aside the analytic/mechanistic aspect of the mind (the "left side"), may be incredibly useful to some of the Exploration we may seek in these here parts. :-)
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(This post was last modified: 2017-09-01, 06:43 AM by Sciborg_S_Patel.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sciborg_S_Patel's post:
  • Brian
This post has been deleted.
I think of it as analytical and empathic thinking. Both are necessary and both should be cultivated. And people should understand that you can't do both at the same time.

I don't use the left/right analogy because is not literally true if you look at the science. And people tend to feel that one side is good and the other bad. Because people are right or left handed they think they are stuck as they are and don't recognize that both ways of thinking should be cultivated.

I recommend this type of meditation to cultivate empathic thinking:
https://sites.google.com/site/chs4o8pt/m...n_serenity
The first gulp from the glass of science will make you an atheist, but at the bottom of the glass God is waiting for you - Werner Heisenberg. (More at my Blog & Website)
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-01, 08:43 AM by Jim_Smith.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Jim_Smith's post:
  • Stan Woolley, Sciborg_S_Patel
(2017-09-01, 06:42 AM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain

Curious if anyone else has read this book?

I've had it in my library for quite some time but after a brief examination didn't touch it. Opening it again I find it might, through its instruction on setting aside the analytic/mechanistic aspect of the mind (the "left side"), may be incredibly useful to some of the Exploration we may seek in these here parts. :-)

My mom read that book years ago. It must have made an impact because she still talks about it from time to time.
[-] The following 2 users Like Hurmanetar's post:
  • Brian, Sciborg_S_Patel

• View a Printable Version