Death is the end

118 Replies, 19893 Views

I just created this thread because I wanted to ask proponents a question that we can debate. What would you do if death is the end and there is no afterlife? By this statement I mean no survival of consciousness after death. You cease to exist.

I am not interested in discussing evidence pro or con in this thread. I just wanted to know would you change your outlook about life? Would your beliefs change?

If you knew absolutely that death was final, would that impact your everyday life? Would anything change?
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-04, 03:16 AM by Fake Leuders.)
I assume agnostics can weigh in as well?

The possibility that such is the case is cause for no small amount of existential dread, as far as I'm concerned. Certain New Atheists (and their acolytes in pop culture) have used the "born from nothing, return to nothing" concept as a source of comfort: nothing gained, nothing lost, as it were. I big to differ; after a lifetime of experiences, if death is it, then everything is lost.

So if I knew that that was absolutely what happens - depression would likely skyrocket, for one. Beyond that, I don't care to speculate; that's headache enough.
[-] The following 3 users Like Will's post:
  • diverdown, Fake Leuders, tim
Probably not much would change in my everyday life. But yes, to echo Will, in my case the existential dread would be bigger.
[-] The following 4 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • Oleo, Bucky, Fake Leuders, tim
(2017-09-04, 03:12 AM)Leuders Wrote: I just created this thread because I wanted to ask proponents a question that we can debate. What would you do if death is the end and there is no afterlife? By this statement I mean no survival of consciousness after death. You cease to exist.

I am not interested in discussing evidence pro or con in this thread. I just wanted to know would you change your outlook about life? Would your beliefs change?

If you knew absolutely that death was final, would that impact your everyday life? Would anything change?
My whole approach to life would be different. I would be forced to use the "you only go around once" philosophy. 

I would be much more focused on making sure I made absolute best use of my time to accomplish goals. 

I would be less focused on things that didn't relate to my accomplishment of stuff.

I would be empathetic, but only to the extent that it wasn't a major impediment to what I wanted to get done.

I would be less open the idea that we are in the business of having experiences and negative and little experiences may be just as important to us as big accomplishments.

I would be less willing to go with my heart and do things that could lead to unknown results but that felt right.

I would be less willing to listen to intuition because it would not be based on a hidden truth

I would be convinced that those who "worship" are delusional
[-] The following 4 users Like jkmac's post:
  • Laird, Fake Leuders, tim, Ninshub
(2017-09-04, 03:12 AM)Leuders Wrote: I just created this thread because I wanted to ask proponents a question that we can debate. What would you do if death is the end and there is no afterlife? By this statement I mean no survival of consciousness after death. You cease to exist.

It's an interesting question, Leuders but I don't think it's a question that can really be 'answered' because the human psyche doesn't appear to be fully capable of comprehending it's own destruction (for ever). We can see other people's but not ours (Freud's paradox) apparently.  I don't see how humans could or would be able to complete their lives satisfactorily. What would be the point ? For some people at least, death (an end to suffering) is surely preferable to life so why would they soldier on into oblivion  ? 

If I could really convince myself that it was the end, I don't think I'd do anything that differently but I'd be rather annoyed at the stupidity of such a scenario. I sincerely believe that some of the materialist/atheists on here really don't understand the absurdity of what they are so keen to lend their support to. They talk about the wonderful promise of living on in the genes of their children. They don't seem to get it IMHO. It won't matter to them because they won't be around to see it and neither will anyone else...ever.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-04, 09:52 PM by tim. Edit Reason: yet another typo )
[-] The following 8 users Like tim's post:
  • Bucky, Dante, Fake Leuders, Sciborg_S_Patel, iPsoFacTo, Doug, Ninshub, Silence
I'm agnostic, but of course I entertain certain beliefs. If there is nothing, then there'd no longer exist any of your personal consciousness or memories. For all intents and purposes, you've really never existed.

The only sort of thing that's real here, is the possible ego induced anxiety in knowing your worldly materialistic being has an expiration date. However once dead, there isn't any personality to feel any regret or any would've, could've, should have's.

If I believed in there being no afterlife (which I do happen to believe there is) I guess I would still operate my life as it is now and has been. That is, my own set of life circumstances and psychological makeup leads me to behave the way I do.
This whole thing of 'living each day as if it were your last' stuff....NO!....  if I knew I was gonna croak in 6 months I'd live as I have been living most likely. Well, maybe not exactly. I'd figure out how much money I have would last me spent over those 6 months and blow it all on a good time. (Well, I am single and no children so I can do that, lol)
No one in all practicality, could possibly maintain living life everyday day as if it was the last. The only way to possibly do that is by knowing that you're going to die in a certain relatively short time period!

However, I do believe in some form of afterlife but not necessarily a religion themed one..... well, maybe if I believed  in one, that's the form of afterlife that would get served up to me.

As of the past 10 years or so I'm going with the simulation hypothesis. And if this is a simulation, so can an afterlife, lol
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-04, 03:02 PM by iPsoFacTo.)
[-] The following 6 users Like iPsoFacTo's post:
  • Bucky, Dante, Fake Leuders, Sciborg_S_Patel, tim, Ninshub
"Death destroys a man but the idea of it saves him."
- E. M. Forster
'Historically, we may regard materialism as a system of dogma set up to combat orthodox dogma...Accordingly we find that, as ancient orthodoxies disintegrate, materialism more and more gives way to scepticism.'

- Bertrand Russell

(2017-09-04, 03:16 PM)Sciborg_S_Patel Wrote: "Death destroys a man but the idea of it saves him."
- E. M. Forster

I never understood that quote, Sci. What do you think it means ?
[-] The following 2 users Like tim's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Ninshub
(2017-09-04, 04:29 PM)tim Wrote: I never understood that quote, Sci. What do you think it means ?

Mom: "Go on....get up already an' go out and look for a job."

Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like iPsoFacTo's post:
  • Sciborg_S_Patel, Oleo, Obiwan
(2017-09-04, 03:25 AM)Will Wrote: I assume agnostics can weigh in as well?

The possibility that such is the case is cause for no small amount of existential dread, as far as I'm concerned. Certain New Atheists (and their acolytes in pop culture) have used the "born from nothing, return to nothing" concept as a source of comfort: nothing gained, nothing lost, as it were. I big to differ; after a lifetime of experiences, if death is it, then everything is lost.

So if I knew that that was absolutely what happens - depression would likely skyrocket, for one. Beyond that, I don't care to speculate; that's headache enough.
Just think back to distant prehistoric times. Whole human species lived then became extinct: The things they knew where lost. So be it too for our species if we don't leave this planet before our Sun becomes a red giant. When it does it will roast our life bearing planet to a toasty cinder destroying all life.

No existential dread, just acceptance.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-04, 05:37 PM by Steve001.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve001's post:
  • Ninshub

• View a Printable Version