Atomic scuffle

83 Replies, 11973 Views

Do you feel that comments like this really create a environment conducive to real conversation:

"Honestly- I feel like am having a discussion with a 7 year old."

I may be in the minority, but I have a lot of respect for MAX_B and his ideas. 
[-] The following 3 users Like chuck's post:
  • Hurmanetar, Max_B, Brian
(2017-09-22, 01:55 PM)chuck Wrote: Do you feel that comments like this really create a environment conducive to real conversation:

I may be in the minority, but I have a lot of respect for MAX_B and his ideas. 

I didn't know you'd joined admin, Chuck !  Don't forget, robust discussion !!  (Maybe jkmac will remove that remark as it is silly) I think I saw the world clearer when I was seven than I do now.
(2017-09-22, 02:06 PM)tim Wrote: I didn't know you'd joined admin, Chuck !  Don't forget, robust discussion !!  (Maybe jkmac will remove that remark as it is silly) I think I saw the world clearer when I was seven than I do now.

I don't have to be an admin to point out a comment that I feel is inappropriate to real conversation. We are a community. My point is:

If you actually want to have a conversation with someone about a topic, then it is probably best to leave out comments like:

I don't need to go into the psychology of such remarks. But it is unflattering at best. 

At heart I am discouraged in general at the way that comments like that and otherwise petty squabbling about specific personalities undermine the community here.

MAX_B is someone who has always been a part of this community who is a genuine original thinker. He isn't regurgitating repackaged theosophy ad nasueum--he is actually thinking about the nature of reality and formulating ideas. We should be encouraging that practice and trying to attract others of the same ilk. 
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-22, 02:21 PM by chuck.)
[-] The following 2 users Like chuck's post:
  • malf, Max_B
(2017-09-22, 02:15 PM)chuck Wrote: I don't have to be an admin to point out a comment that I feel is inappropriate to real conversation. We are a community. My point is:

If you actually want to have a conversation with someone about a topic, then it is probably best to leave out comments like:

I don't need to go into the psychology of such remarks. But it is unflattering at best. 

At heart I am discouraged in general at the way that comments like that and otherwise petty squabbling about specific personalities undermine the community here.

MAX_B is someone who has always been a part of this community who is a genuine original thinker. He isn't regurgitating repackaged theosophy ad nasueum--he is actually thinking about the nature of reality and formulating ideas. We should be encouraging that practice and trying to attract others of the same ilk. 

Max can look after himself, Chuck. You are not averse to making "comments" are you ? We've all done it. Your other comments are noted but that's just your opinion.
I don't doubt that MAX_B can take care of himself. That is beside the point. I'm making a "comment" right now. Of course it's my opinion. 

My real comment is if you want to actually converse with someone, then it is probably more profitable to leave out aforesaid remarks.
[-] The following 2 users Like chuck's post:
  • Hurmanetar, Max_B
(2017-09-22, 02:37 PM)chuck Wrote: I don't doubt that MAX_B can take care of himself. That is beside the point. I'm making a "comment" right now. Of course it's my opinion. 

My real comment is if you want to actually converse with someone, then it is probably more profitable to leave out aforesaid remarks.

No, I meant it's your opinion about whether Max's approach (novel ideas) is better than "regurgitating repackaged theosophy."

"My real comment is if you want to actually converse with someone, then it is probably more profitable to leave out aforesaid remarks"

Have you always practiced this ?
What I said was:

"MAX_B is someone who has always been a part of this community who is a genuine original thinker. He isn't regurgitating repackaged theosophy ad nasueum--he is actually thinking about the nature of reality and formulating ideas. We should be encouraging that practice and trying to attract others of the same ilk."

I didn't say that what he does is better than regurgitating repackaged theosophy. There is certainly a place for that as well. What MAX_B does is different than that. I appreciate diversity. I also appreciate originality. 

I'm not sure what your point about my past behavior is. I have a history of trolling the admins on Skeptiko. I'm not sure what that has to do with this instance where I am sincerely making a comment that I hope will ultimately make this forum a better place. I'm not "attacking" JKMAC. I'm simply reflecting a statement they made so that perhaps they may see that such remarks aren't conducive to true conversation. 

Do you think my initial comment is somehow inappropriate. I'm not sure why you are making such a big deal out of it.

I'm sure JKMAC has big boy pants. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes chuck's post:
  • Brian
(2017-09-22, 02:57 PM)chuck Wrote: What I said was:

"MAX_B is someone who has always been a part of this community who is a genuine original thinker. He isn't regurgitating repackaged theosophy ad nasueum--he is actually thinking about the nature of reality and formulating ideas. We should be encouraging that practice and trying to attract others of the same ilk."

I didn't say that what he does is better than regurgitating repackaged theosophy. There is certainly a place for that as well. What MAX_B does is different than that. I appreciate diversity. I also appreciate originality. 

I'm not sure what your point about my past behavior is. I have a history of trolling the admins on Skeptiko. I'm not sure what that has to do with this instance where I am sincerely making a comment that I hope will ultimately make this forum a better place. I'm not "attacking" JKMAC. I'm simply reflecting a statement they made so that perhaps they may see that such remarks aren't conducive to true conversation. 

Do you think my initial comment is somehow inappropriate. I'm not sure why you are making such a big deal out of it.

I'm sure JKMAC has big boy pants. 

Chuck said > I didn't say that what he does is better than regurgitating repackaged theosophy.

Chuck said previously > MAX_B is someone who has always been a part of this community who is a genuine original thinker. He isn't regurgitating repackaged theosophy ad nasueum--he is actually thinking about the nature of reality and formulating ideas

I think that at least implies it

Chuck said > I'm not sure what your point about my past behavior is. I have a history of trolling the admins on Skeptiko.

I wasn't thinking about that 

Do you think my initial comment is somehow inappropriate.

Not inappropriate just unnecessary. But then again to be fair, maybe mine was too but this is a forum. I've noticed that you keep praising Max's idea. You are of course free to do that.  I think Max is an intelligent poster too but his "idea" doesn't have any evidence to support it. Are you content to just allow someone's ideas serious consideration without any evidence ?        

I'm not sure why you are making such a big deal out of it.

I didn't think I was TBH.
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-22, 03:26 PM by tim. Edit Reason: typo )
I'm totally cool with talking about this. Although the thread is severely hijacked. Maybe an admin can move it somewhere else. I honestly thought you had your panties in a bunch and that's why I asked why you were making a big deal out of it. 

I think when someone clarifies what they meant, then for you to repost and say that I implied something that really doesn't fly. I'm honestly saying that I like both original ideas and repackaged ideas. There is a reason those old ideas are still circulating.

I don't really think MAX_B's ideas are good or valid ideas. I like the fact that he thinks about things and comes up with actual original ideas about the nature of reality. He himself admits that he has been wrong. And he has changed his ideas to better fit his experience or data he has encountered. I think it is important not to forget MAX_B's experience that set him on this path. He is an "experiencer." Whatever that means.

But I don't really explore his ideas at all. I don't evaluate them. I don't think very deeply about them. I simply appreciate the fact that he is coming up with original ideas. That is actually a pretty rare event.

Let me also clarify that I wasn't implying that JKMAC was simply regurgitating old ideas here. Obviously JKMAC is a vigorous presence here and an appreciated one.

I'm honestly trying to follow the rule these days that I'm not going to say something on the forum that I wouldn't say to someone in person in an actual conversation.

I would call someone out in person on the original comment (conversing with a 7 year old). 

I do think there is some value in these discussions, but it doesn't belong in the middle of this thread.
(2017-09-22, 03:28 PM)chuck Wrote: I'm totally cool with talking about this. Although the thread is severely hijacked. Maybe an admin can move it somewhere else. I honestly thought you had your panties in a bunch and that's why I asked why you were making a big deal out of it. 

I think when someone clarifies what they meant, then for you to repost and say that I implied something that really doesn't fly. I'm honestly saying that I like both original ideas and repackaged ideas. There is a reason those old ideas are still circulating.

I don't really think MAX_B's ideas are good or valid ideas. I like the fact that he thinks about things and comes up with actual original ideas about the nature of reality. He himself admits that he has been wrong. And he has changed his ideas to better fit his experience or data he has encountered. I think it is important not to forget MAX_B's experience that set him on this path. He is an "experiencer." Whatever that means.

But I don't really explore his ideas at all. I don't evaluate them. I don't think very deeply about them. I simply appreciate the fact that he is coming up with original ideas. That is actually a pretty rare event.

Let me also clarify that I wasn't implying that JKMAC was simply regurgitating old ideas here. Obviously JKMAC is a vigorous presence here and an appreciated one.

I'm honestly trying to follow the rule these days that I'm not going to say something on the forum that I wouldn't say to someone in person in an actual conversation.

I would call someone out in person on the original comment (conversing with a 7 year old). 

I do think there is some value in these discussions, but it doesn't belong in the middle of this thread.

"I'm totally cool with talking about this."

Cool.

"Although the thread is severely hijacked."

They can kick us off

"I honestly thought you had your panties in a bunch"

Is that a fantasy of yours, Chuck ? I'm a bloke, I don't wear panties, not last time I looked anyway.

"But I don't really explore his ideas at all. I don't evaluate them."

Okay but I have (tried to anyway)

"I simply appreciate the fact that he is coming up with original ideas. That is actually a pretty rare event."

Original ideas are good. But they have to be backed up with evidence.

"I'm honestly trying to follow the rule these days that I'm not going to say something on the forum that I wouldn't say to someone in person in an actual conversation."

Good, it saves you going to the dentist, I suppose.

• View a Printable Version