Atheism, not God is odd

11 Replies, 2661 Views

[Post deleted at Brian's request]
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-23, 06:18 PM by Laird.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Brian's post:
  • Typoz, Sciborg_S_Patel, DasMurmeltier, Dante
It's behind a pay wall beyond the first 4 paragraphs, so you're aware. I think it seems an interesting article and raises a couple good questions in the parts I was able to read.

I didn't really get this part, in light of the topic: 

Quote:The aim is not to discredit atheism but to understand how so many people can override a way of thinking that seems to come so naturally. For that reason, atheists should welcome the new scrutiny.
Quote:Atheism still has a great deal to commend it, not least that it doesn’t need supernatural beings to make sense of the world. Let’s hope the study of atheism leads to new insights into how to challenge such irrationality.

It seems like the writer is just blatantly calling it irrational to believe in a god in the second sentence there, and he's sort of making a caricature or mockery of that belief there too, unless I'm reading it wrong. 

I also would question his use of "thinking that seems to come so naturally", where he seems to be suggesting that it's difficult to believe that people could possibly believe in god. I would argue that belief in god comes more naturally, unless that's what he meant and I'm misreading it.

That kind of turned me off... but I'm curious as to the rest of the article; like I said, the base question is an interesting one for sure (unless the ultimate conclusion is just that the atheists are especially enlightened or intelligent or some other nonsense, but I didn't get the sense it was necessarily headed that direction).
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-22, 09:46 PM by Dante.)
[-] The following 2 users Like Dante's post:
  • Brian, Kamarling
Oh my god I'm out of here.  It's been not only hijacked but ruddy Brian has joined in with his dogmatic New Age BS!  I want him to F-off to a new age forum somewhere where his diatribe will be appreciated better!!!

ROFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pssst's post:
  • Stan Woolley
I for one welcome our new atheist investigation overlords.

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
This post has been deleted.
There are no winners or losers here.

This forum is about sharing ideas and points of view. Not a competition to decide who is this year's champion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Typoz's post:
  • Laird
This post has been deleted.
(2017-09-23, 11:39 AM)Brian Wrote: Pssst doesn't want to share, he wants to tell us how it is.  He's obviously an authority on everything.

The ignore button works a treat.
[-] The following 2 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Laird, Typoz
Where do atheists come from? 

Quote:Despite being written out of large parts of history, atheists thrived in the polytheistic societies of the ancient world – raising considerable doubts about whether humans really are “wired” for religion – a new study suggests.
http://www.cam.ac.uk/research/news/disbe...s-religion
(This post was last modified: 2017-09-23, 01:54 PM by Steve001.)
(2017-09-23, 11:01 AM)Typoz Wrote: There are no winners or losers here.

You win, Typoz (the prize is a like).

• View a Printable Version