Article ~ Why the Miller–Urey Research Argues Against Abiogenesis

102 Replies, 8998 Views

Why the Miller–Urey Research Argues Against Abiogenesis

https://answersingenesis.org/origin-of-l...iogenesis/
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
~ Carl Jung

(This post was last modified: 2018-01-14, 03:32 PM by Valmar.)
[-] The following 3 users Like Valmar's post:
  • Doug, The King in the North, Oleo
Resident physicalists, please feel free to argue why you believe this article is incorrect. Smile

I posted this here because I wasn't entirely sure where else to place it. Feel free to move it to the more appropriate forum.

While not directly related to the arguments of consciousness and psi, it relates to arguments against physicalist Neo-Darwinian evolution.
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
~ Carl Jung

(This post was last modified: 2018-01-14, 02:40 PM by Valmar.)
(2018-01-14, 02:38 PM)Valmar Wrote: I posted this here because I wasn't entirely sure where else to place it. Feel free to move it to the more appropriate forum.

I've moved it from SvP to Alternative Views on Science in keeping with the guidelines in that forum: How to navigate creating threads on science and scientific controversies on the forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Laird's post:
  • Ninshub, Valmar, Doug
I'll leave this to someone else.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Jerry_Bergman

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
(2018-01-16, 11:48 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: I'll leave this to someone else.

~~ Paul

But that didn't address a single point from the (lengthy) original article. I think that's literally true, but if not, it's very, very close to a literal truth. Not one point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Valmar
(2018-01-16, 11:48 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: I'll leave this to someone else.

~~ Paul

So, if you can't present a good argument against the article's message, simply attack the messenger? Is that it?
~ Carl Jung

[-] The following 2 users Like Valmar's post:
  • The King in the North, Obiwan
I’d say rationalwiki was even less reliable and balanced than actual wiki.
[-] The following 3 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Valmar, tim, The King in the North
Nope, don't feel like reading the article and addressing all the points. Sometimes you gotta filter your reading by considering the source.

The RationalWiki article has references. I especially like this:

"(It should be added that, in a signed letter published in David Duke's National Association of White People newsletter, he stated that “reverse racial discrimination was clearly part of the decision,” so even according to himself it cannot have been solely because of his religious beliefs.[12])"

~~ Paul
If the existence of a thing is indistinguishable from its nonexistence, we say that thing does not exist. ---Yahzi
Despite whatever links that Bergman may or may not have to racist groups, that doesn't detract from the OP article's points whatsoever.

Or maybe you just don't want to read the article.
~ Carl Jung

[-] The following 1 user Likes Valmar's post:
  • nbtruthman
(2018-01-17, 04:11 PM)Paul C. Anagnostopoulos Wrote: Nope, don't feel like reading the article and addressing all the points. Sometimes you gotta filter your reading by considering the source.

The RationalWiki article has references. I especially like this:

"(It should be added that, in a signed letter published in David Duke's National Association of White People newsletter, he stated that “reverse racial discrimination was clearly part of the decision,” so even according to himself it cannot have been solely because of his religious beliefs.[12])"

~~ Paul

Besides, if any of his points are valid, surely an uncontroversial proponent of them could be referenced instead.

Linda

• View a Printable Version