Anyone read Billy Fingers?

9 Replies, 1532 Views

In a conversation today a friend asked whether I had read "The Afterlife of Billy Fingers". I searched and found that JKMac also mentioned it in a post but he's no longer posting here. 

Has anyone read it and, if so, what are your impressions? I'm tempted to follow up based on my friend's recommendation.

I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kamarling's post:
  • Ninshub
I did when it came out. I really liked it. I had posted about it on the old mind energy forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ninshub's post:
  • tim, Kamarling
I found it a very good read
[-] The following 1 user Likes Oleo's post:
  • Kamarling
(2017-12-15, 01:09 AM)Ninshub Wrote: I did when it came out. I really liked it. I had posted about it on the old mind energy forum.

Thanks for pointing me to that discussion, Ian.

I was a little put off by her promo videos and I got the same feeling that I do with Eben Alexander: book for sale, slick promotion, etc. Perhaps that's just my English aversion to the American obsession with selling everything from soap powder to your personal and spiritual life story.

But what really matters is what the book has to say rather than the motive for promoting it.
I do not make any clear distinction between mind and God. God is what mind becomes when it has passed beyond the scale of our comprehension.
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 3 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Obiwan, Stan Woolley, Ninshub
I read it, or most of it. Something didn't sit right with me. I remember reading other people saying the same some time later. 

I've recently read A Spiritual Evolution by Louisa P. I thought it was an amazing book, she is an ex-alcoholic who had an NDE. Brutally honest, she writes about things that many people won't touch.
Oh my God, I hate all this.   Surprise
[-] The following 2 users Like Stan Woolley's post:
  • Doug, Obiwan
I read the reviews on Amazon. There were some interesting 1* reviews (on Billy Fingers, not Louisa P).
(This post was last modified: 2017-12-15, 12:38 PM by Obiwan.)
[-] The following 4 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • Kamarling, tim, Stan Woolley, Doug
(2017-12-15, 12:36 PM)Obiwan Wrote: I read the reviews on Amazon. There were some interesting 1* reviews (on Billy Fingers, not Louisa P).

Yes, I have a bad habit of being drawn to the 1* reviews even when 90% of the reviews are 5*. I guess that's my natural skepticism showing. Smile
Freeman Dyson
[-] The following 3 users Like Kamarling's post:
  • Typoz, tim, Obiwan
(2017-12-15, 06:40 PM)Kamarling Wrote: Yes, I have a bad habit of being drawn to the 1* reviews even when 90% of the reviews are 5*. I guess that's my natural skepticism showing. Smile

I always start there lol. Then the only way is up.
[-] The following 5 users Like Obiwan's post:
  • laborde, Typoz, Kamarling, tim, Doug
(2017-12-15, 03:56 AM)Kamarling Wrote: Thanks for pointing me to that discussion, Ian.

I was a little put off by her promo videos and I got the same feeling that I do with Eben Alexander: book for sale, slick promotion, etc. Perhaps that's just my English aversion to the American obsession with selling everything from soap powder to your personal and spiritual life story.

But what really matters is what the book has to say rather than the motive for promoting it.

Well I suppose the concern is whether that motive resulted in exaggeration.

In Eben Alexander's case, I don't suppose he has done his orthodox career any good, so motives operate both ways.

I think my problem with the above video, is also that it sounds like a promo video!

David
That's the American way. "It's money that matters, hear what I say"

• View a Printable Version