An incredibly bland person appears.

18 Replies, 3987 Views

Hello I'm Mediochre. I originally joined Skeptiko to talk about my research and experimentation with magic and then got invited to come here when things apparently went downhill. I would understand if one common way Skeptikonians that knew me would described me as was  "that guy who hates morality."

I've lived and currently still live an incredibly paranormal life. I didn't realize it when I was a kid because it was constant and thus normal to me. But then really, really crazy stuff started happening around 2008 and it kinda sorta materially ruined my life. More than the genetic condition that has slowly been killing all the photoreceptors in my eyes leaving me legally blind with just a bit of blurry tunnel vision at this stage which too continues to degrade.

I've tried to turn my situation into an opportunity with some degree of success. I chose to delve deep into magic. My goal is to develop it to a plainly demonstratable, repeatable, teachable, practical level. Specifically focusing on telekinesis and the like. I try to take an engineering approach to it. Focusing more on working backwards from a desired outcome to create it rather than caring much about other people's opinions of what is or isn't possible. "Scientists study that which has always been and engineers create that which has never existed" and all that.

I want to completely demystify magic and show it for what it really is. Nothing but a skill that anyone can learn. I endeavor to strip the spiritualism that all too often pollutes and devalues the topic. I do my best to explain what I've learned in the least esoteric, most mathematical way I can. I don't work too much on the hard math aspect right now but I do have a few prototype equations that seem to work.

Probably the single most incredible and important thing I've discovered is the Kruger Effect which, yes, I named after Freddy Kruger of Nightmare on Elm Street fame which should paint you a bit of a picture of what the effect entails. It led into the discovery that certain dream states, certain meditative states, and physical reality are functionally interchangeable. This lead, most notably, to the development of "poltergeisting." A form of remote viewing/astral projection that allows the practitioner to physically interact which and manipulate the environment they are viewing. This became the backbone of my current work into direct telekinesis and beyond.

And apparently I must've done something right because Dreamsoap (my girlfriend) decided she'd rather I develop magic full time than do anything normal. My days are  spent alternating between training and recovering from training.

Her and I both have lots and lots of stories we can tell about our experiences. Especially shared dreams. Hell, we first met in a shared dream. We've both had a large amount of experiences with spirits as welI. Not all of them were nice. In my case most of them weren't, which is kind of how I learned about the Kruger Effect. It's also why both of us take such a harsh, negative stance towards pretty much all forms of religion and spiritually.

I personally enjoy writing up mine in a 'novel' format because I find its just more accurate. I didn't even intend it at first. I just tried to go into as much detail as I possibly could about everything. The environment, sounds, smells if there were any, even what I was thinking and feeling at the time. I wanted so much detail that the reader was practically having the experience themselves vicariously. It just so happens that that amount of detail starts to look like a novel after a certain point. I also admit that I take a lot of pride in what I've accomplished and experienced and don't see any reason not to have a little fun retelling things.

I heavily cherry pick which experiences I choose to write down based not just on how influential they were but also how cool of a story they are to tell. I mean I could tell the story of how I would see shadows on my wall that couldn't really exist given the only lightsource was in front of me and that same wall or I could tell the story about the "Nightmare Spider Dream" where I presumably obe'd to an alternate reality version of a city I used to live that was midway through a surprisingly successful and well coordinated evacuation due to an infestation of giant 2 meter legspan spiders. I could tell the story about one of the times Dreamsoap and I had a shared dream and just kinda hung out or I could tell you about the one we call "The Zombie-Alien-Dinosaur Dream." which, if it were real, may or may not be worse than Man-Bear-Pig. I could tell you about some random dream about something I'd done that day or I could tell you about "The Dead Space Dream" which taught me the true meaning of Christmas 'reduce, reuse, and recycle' and made me seriously wonder if somewhere out there shit like necromorphs really exist and that writers sometimes just channel real events from some other dimension and interpret it as "inspiration."

The point is, some experiences just make for better stories than others.

In any case I'm happy to be here and hope that I can contribute in at least somewhat of a positive way.
"The cure for bad information is more information."
(This post was last modified: 2017-10-01, 07:39 PM by Ninshub.)
[-] The following 6 users Like Mediochre's post:
  • diverdown, Red, laborde, Roberta, Laird, Ninshub
Glad you made it here! Welcome.
Welcome, Mediochre. I would say it's "good" to have you here but perhaps that word's too morally charged! Seriously, though, you bring a lot to the table so I'm glad you're here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laird's post:
  • Ninshub
Would it be possible if you could magically decrease the font on your posts?  Tongue
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pssst's post:
  • Typoz
(2017-10-01, 06:48 PM)Pssst Wrote: Would it be possible if you could magically decrease the font on your posts?  Tongue

I don't know, I had to type everything up in my phone since my computer decided to kill itself. But I'll try.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mediochre's post:
  • Ninshub, Pssst
(2017-10-01, 07:29 PM)Mediochre Wrote: I don't know, I had to type everything up in my phone since my computer decided to kill itself. But I'll try.

Phone typing does that. I see now you've made it as smallest as it can be! I can help you fix it - I just copy your post in Notepad and then put it back.
(2017-10-01, 04:26 AM)Ninshub Wrote: Glad you made it here! Welcome.
I will be forever salty that Dreamsoap made it here before me. I was in the middle of writing my first intro when my computer died, and then she got her's up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mediochre's post:
  • Ninshub
Why do you describe yourself as "an incredibly bland person"?
(2017-10-01, 05:00 AM)Laird Wrote: Welcome, Mediochre. I would say it's "good" to have you here but perhaps that word's too morally charged! Seriously, though, you bring a lot to the table so I'm glad you're here.

Well I'm glad to be here. Didn't realize I brought much to the table in anyone's eyes.
(2017-10-03, 08:45 AM)Doppelgänger Wrote: Why do you describe yourself as "an incredibly bland person"?

Partially a play on words, partially an aspect of my philosophy.

• View a Printable Version